• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 178 - Let it snow!

Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This will be our last SFTW challenge for 2022 so I thought we should have something seasonal. What can you make with this snowman? Will you change his location, give him a friend, have him 'walking in the air'.....?

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW178Snowman.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun, and I wish you and your families a very happy Christmas.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the Moon was #76. 
(122 was what I brought back into the last SFTW.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bringing the snowman to Australia for this time of the year.

snowmanSurf.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From snowboard to surfboard with unprecedented ease.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For once I hope the water is cold !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Giving the snowman an upgrade.

snownmanlog2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new showman: the Arctic Strongman.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like that idea Dean - also extra points for incorporating both the snow scene and logs from previous SFTW challenges!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...nod to Bill Watterson...

snowman.jpg

Happy Holidays!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL!  That's funny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'snowman house of horrors' 🙂 That's a nice job with the head but also a good touch rotating the buttons so that he is facing the right way.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW178SnowmanAviles.jpg

What, me worry?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only worry if it warms up Rafael 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'The trick is, of course, to never, ever, under any circumstances allow the sticks to touch.

image.png

I'm hoping that at least one or two people get the gag and context.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

look at the new high tech one with wings \ ears to catch the crosswind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work Trevor.

How did you add the texture lines of the balloons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean I used Move > Arrange to equally space some vertical lines, and used FT > Warp > Bulge to shape them, and some more FT to get a better fit.  I copied the layewr and made the lines a bit fatter, and blured them for the shading and turned the opacity way down.

I copied the blurred lines: inverted them, and moved them over for the highlights.  

Finally I made a white ellipse and blurred it, then FT'd an gennerally dragged it into place.  I ended up giving that highlight a hint of colour to match the skin tone.

It's all clipped to the balloon of course.

It hellped having the real balloons on the right to use as a guide, and I think I uploaded and replaced this image at least four or five times.

image.png

The Red Dwarf image was much more problmeatic as having had the idea I found that the only relevant online content was from very old, very low res video that looked awful.  So I found a later still image and reworked the heck out of it.  Fortunately I found two high res images of the antimatter chopsticks, and one was square on view with a plain background, so a one click selection with how good Sensei selections are nowadays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - it's a while since that head made an appearance! A great idea and very nicely executed Trevor !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SWF73 is a great render. I used it in my earlier version in this thread though took out the fence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And let new snow fill the tracks, Dean, to throw everyone off the scent or just to give the less fit one some space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dean_Utian wrote:

SWF73 is a great render.

I agree, Dean. SFTW73 is the one that we refused to mess up because we were so stunned by its beauty that Dave (or maybe a Yeti?) had to break through the fence and stomp through the perfect scene! 😊 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back in his natural environment Jane 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first time I looked at this I saw the distant power pole and parsed it as a cross, and instantly thought of the tragic effects of the North America weather bomb.  I believe move than 70 people have died as a result of the ultra cold weather in North America so far, so stay at home and stay safe guys.

I feel guilty about the 30°C (86°F — I think) we've had here today. Even if it has been uncomfortably hot.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines