• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 18 - The clock tower.

Community Expert ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This weeks image is the famous clock tower, known as Elizabeth's Tower, at the Palace of Westminster in London which houses the UK parliament. The tower was built between 1843 and 1859 and contains the "Great Clock" and "Big Ben" which is the large bell for the clock chimes.
At the moment visitors will not see the full tower as both the tower and the clock are undergoing renovation and so the tower is surrounded by scaffold.

I am sure the renovations will be true to the original but I wondered what "improvements" our Photoshop users would make to the tower. So this weekends challenge is simple - show us what changes you can make to the tower.

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side. 

To download the image below without the forum scaling artefacts, right click and then use Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW18ClockTower.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder why she stays. It may be for her son, but more likely for her parents, who depend on her.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry guys it was my fault, a little blip in the radar

Here you go

SFTW.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ged+Traynor  wrote

Sorry guys it was my fault, a little blip in the radar

You took the cat away to feed it didn't you ....

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to remind me of something.

Week018_B.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More nice entries. Just waiting for the lightning HothWampa .

Very subtle Rista

Keep them coming - all are welcome to join in

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunny old England

towerice.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - The plastic raincoat will be used more times than the sun protection 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it looks like the workers are ready to make a start

SFTW18Clock.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Needs more more cones, safety barriers and those yellow floor things, although I'm starting to think those are actually street art constructions by some crazy artist because they always just sit there with no workmen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work Ged - the perspective there is spot on. !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Dave

I had a little help from Bob the Photoshopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Ah, so that's why I liked it. It's true, it is. I see now that Ged used a 35mm lens

I should start pushing the "like"-button more often, I know. But I'm not on facebook or any other social medium, so I never got in the habit. But I like this one, as well as Dave's Trump Tower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Realistic perspective is one of those things that is often missed in a composite, with concentration on matching colour and lighting. But when it's "right" it adds a lot.

When adding elements in 3D layers, you can match the physical dimensions as well as focal length and depth of focus on the camera. Photoshop also allows you to use the Vanishing point filter to set the ground-plane in the 3D layer.
Blender is very good for this, allowing you to specify the dimension units for the object and scene. For the camera, you can set the focal length, the sensor/film plane dimensions and the iris settings - for depth of focus. By doing that it is relatively easy to produce a 3D element that fits well into a 2D composite.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes fyi my image is a 3d layer rendored on top [in Dimension]... Photoshop made the 3d extrusion and re-coloured the trees

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

towerice.jpg

He'd probably turn that into a <nudge, nudge> about the size of...I mean, you've seen his ties, everybody? That's subtlety, Trump style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rocking Around the Clock!

SFTW18ClockTower Jane.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane - with all that heavy rock I'm afraid the tower will soon look like Dag's image from post 2 !

SMOk3420 - Fred Dibnah - a real character.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, had a crash and a spinning peach ball of death when trying to select and mask the tower, will report in the appropriate channels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crashes in Select and Mask are often GPU related. I went through a period where it would crasj on the AMD drivers with Open CL checked - unchecking OpenCL temporarily resolved it. Later a driver updated cured it completely.

Incidentally I just tried Select Subject within S&M and got this : not perfect but quite good for a single button press :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Incidentally I just tried Select Subject within S&M and got this : not perfect but quite good for a single button press :

I used Select Subject first, followed by Select and Mask to clean up a few edges. It was quick and pretty clean. I used Select Subject for the rocks, then cleaned up the drop shadows. They are scaled to about 25%, so they are not as "heavy" as they might have been, hahaha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick and dirty:

SFTW18ClockTwister.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very appropriate Pierre. The government have been tying us in knots for years !

Jane - we expect to see the video following the next Max

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Clockmill

I know the spikes are missing off the tops but I got lazy

SFTW18ClockTower1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great—I can even (almost) see it turning and grinding the corn from the fields!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Jane - with all that heavy rock I'm afraid the tower will soon look like Dag's image from post 2 !

Dave, those rocks won't fall as long as Bill Haley and His Comets keep singing! When I was a young lass, I could do those fancier dance steps they do toward the end of this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdufzXvjqw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines