• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 180 - Wheels within wheels

Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We did have a lot of entries to our previous beach challenge. Everyone must have been in the mood for a day at the beach.

This time I bring you two views of a simple object - a cog wheel. What can you make with it? You can use one or both views. I wonder if the animators amongst you can turn it into a full blown machine!  Show us your creativity!

The “rules”:

* Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. I've made the background transparent to save you cutting it out. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW180GearWheel.png

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 139 Replies 139
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the original in Blender, with texture in Adobe Substance Painter so it counts 🙂 Nice job Ged!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ged, I thought that James had the copywright on dark and moody.  I encourage people to click to expand to see the full effect of Ged's image.  There's a lot more to it when viewed full screen.  I love the marble texture, and I really love the depth and tiny highlights on the gear teeth.  Nicely done Ged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people might remember this from early 2019 as a project I started but gave up because my system did not seem to be able to cope with it.  I was getting five second wait states for everything I did, and it's only 2300 pixels square, but had a lot of Smart Objects and a file size of 1.5Gb.  It seems to working OK now though, and I remembered it and thought it a good fit for Dave's starter.  It's 100% Photoshop.  I made brushes for the chain but no longer have them.  I can easily make them again though.  Since then I started following a watch repair guy on YouTube and it pains me that I know this is horribly wrong, but there it is.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like that Trevor and particularly that it is 100% illustrated using Photoshop. The reflections in the case a very good.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember this (and the difficulty you had with it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard Hammond in between crashes.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - a nice substitution of the gear wheels Trevor 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has added another Big Blue Button to our interface

SFTW180GearWheel JE02.jpg

Thank you for making these pretty cog wheels transparent for us, Dave — you are kind!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aarghhh! No more blue things please !!!! 🙂

Great idea Jane !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ROTFL!  Our Ged is not going to like this one Jane.   Someone should create the gear wheel as a shape file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea, Trevor!

janee_1-1674514262476.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😂😂😂

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big blue button? Or BigBlueButton? https://bigbluebutton.org/

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW180GearWheel submitted.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A great idea Bob.  I don't know if you are a Windows or Mac kind of a guy, but if ever an image cried out for Lazy Nezumi Pro's Vanishing Lines preset, this is the the one.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like a nice plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob it has dozens of useful presets, and was doing class leading line smoothing from way back before Adobe introduced it — I especially like its tuneable presure sensistivity.  It fixes issues like the shoelace artefact. There is way too much to describe, so if you are a Windows user, go check it out.  Unfortunately, there is almost zero chance of a Mac version ever being released.   https://lazynezumi.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm Windows, so I'll definitely have a look at this.

I knew my perspective was off, but was having difficulty getting it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice idea Bob. The other alternative with such perspective is to build it straight and use distort on a smart object to place it on the lorry.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tribute to Miss Lamarr. Thanks for Frequency Hoping!Thanks for Frequency Hoping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dame Edna and Elton John, eat your hearts out! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Didier. I had heard of her as an actress but not as an inventor, which makes the gear wheels very appropriate. We learn something every week in SFTW. 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a car program here in the UK called Top Gear. On Amazon, it's the grand tour.

SFTW-180-car.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On YouTube it's called Overdrive.  This is a sort of in joke, so I'll be impressed if anyone got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I once had a car with such low profile tyres they gave a ride similar to that you would get with those metal wheels and treads ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines