• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 180 - Wheels within wheels

Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We did have a lot of entries to our previous beach challenge. Everyone must have been in the mood for a day at the beach.

This time I bring you two views of a simple object - a cog wheel. What can you make with it? You can use one or both views. I wonder if the animators amongst you can turn it into a full blown machine!  Show us your creativity!

The “rules”:

* Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. I've made the background transparent to save you cutting it out. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW180GearWheel.png

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 139 Replies 139
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click/RightClick to get closer, Click again to get closer still

Edit: Remake, see below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for starting us off this weekend Jacob 🙂

Should the spokes of the old wheel not be removed though ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right you are, Dave.

It was in effect a rather open hubcap. I liked the brake disc and decided to let whole interior show through, also misled by some sloppy wheel designs I had seen. I also worked on a full wheel cover.

But you convinced me that a remake with new brakes and a proper hubcap was needed.

Below is the full wheel cover, the original wheel, and the remake; the logo is still there as in SFTW 54, as are the bits from SFTW 35+41+43.

Click/RightClick to get closer, Click again to get closer still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ready Player One...

SFTW180GearWheel_pinball.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - That's a clever idea, I like it!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A great book.  Not a terrible movie.  The follow up book 'Ready Player Two' is a disaster though (IMHO).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll get no argument from me. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gears.gif

hey, i think i cheated: this wasn't all done in photoshop.  i mainly used animate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do like that animation, it looks like perpetual motion is possible!. Oh and there is no cheating, any software can be used in this challenge.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent Keith.  I love that each cog is correctly driving the next in the chain.  I almost asked what you used, and then read the last line of your post.  This would have been a nightmare to do as a frame animation fully using Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool. Great idea. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also think the animation looks cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This week I have tried a bit of AI Art. I think the Wheel looks nice.

Steampunk_Monarch-AI-01.png

For those who are interested in the Prompt I used: Steampunk Portrait Monarch, Photorealistic, Canon EOS 5D, Studio, HQ, 4K, style by Lita Cabellut and Stanley Artgerm and Tom Bagshaw

regards,
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gear wheel art - should it be on Tik Tok ? 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably a selfie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a look at DAL-E 2 and Midjourney last week.  They appeared to work by magic and I'd like to have a play with them, but didn't want to temp myself into something you end up paying for because your can't live without it.  Adobe Sensei will soon be blowing all of the Ai image generators out of the water, so I'll wait for that?  I'm sort of joking, but deep down, I'd seriously like it to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor,

yes, that kind of playing with art is kind of addictive. There are tons of Websites and Platform where you can use those for free and I assume that will be so for a while. Also you can use Midjournay "after" the free phase by simply login with a new user.
For Adobe I hope that there will be some kind of cooperation with some other established platform (have in mind Midjourney seem to be proprietary ) to to get into the AI Art world but I also think that will be a long way. But that is a topic for another discussion (also a very looooooong one) and not here. Until then we all have fun with that kind of Art. 

regards,
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well This one got my gears turning a bit! Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 7.58.52 PM.png

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's so good.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like it Bob. I looked carefully for the original wheel - and it's there. Nice job!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beautiful Bob.  The next Photoshop Splash Screen if I am not mistaken. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your kind remarks! 

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thoughts too. This image should replace the current Phootoshop splash screen 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Dave, I didn't use your starter image, just tried to recreate the cog wheel in Blender with a slight change 😄

Cog3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines