• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 181 - When the tide comes in.

Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks to all those who took part in our last 'cog wheel' challenge.

This week I bring you a Scottish castle.  Eilean Donan castle is on in the North West of Scotland and, although it has been there since the 13th century, the castle we see today was actually rebuilt in the early 1900s. It is situated where three sea lochs meet. It is a lovely place to visit at any time, but can you show us what it might look like later in the day when the tide comes in?

The “rules”:

* Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. I've made the background transparent to save you cutting it out. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW181EileanDonan.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 132 Replies 132
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And is his mother a hamster and does his father smell of elderberries?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Abambo 

both details are better "hidden" than in my own post in the last SFTW

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/something-for-the-weekend-part-179-li...
😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hans-Jürgen,

In the past there have been many subtle changes to spot; I believe my two worst were these, a wee one and a big one hidden in plain sight,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/something-for-the-weekend-part-54-lif...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/something-for-the-weekend-part-91-can...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duckies.... I made them from leftover bread.....

Bread duckies.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very sculptural. I see you improved the landscaping around the castle as well. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what happens when people feed bread to the ducks!

Nice job Chana.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All aboard...

SFTW181EileanDonansubmitted2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the castle became a station Bob. Nice idea!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sinkholes in the water terrify me.  lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes James, but only because they'd make your guitar go out of tune.   Did you see Ronald's post on The Hub's essential Tech thread where he said his would be his Gibson Les Paul?  I mentioned that Robert Fripp plays a Les Paul, but AFAIK, you prefer guitars that don't need to be plugged in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What terrifies me more is the flag - is that the golden arches 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - the tide came in but was drained straight out again. I see the castle has had a change of use also!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Don't Let Him See You""Don't Let Him See You"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice and atmospheric, as always, James !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the bagpipes you've been looking for Dave

@davescm wrote:

"[The Chinese Spy Balloon] will turn back once those monitoring it hear the sound of the bagpipes!"

and

"Is the one on the right, as we look, playing the pipes GC ? If so, very fitting ! "

SFTW181EileanDonan JE02.jpg

 Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's them Jane - I'm glad your entry did not come with a soundtrack 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, again I'm coming late to the party...Evening aroun mid 17th century I think....But it's high tide so maybe not too late! 

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 12.34.58 PM.png

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I might need to create another ID. so I can give you another Like for this one Bob.  I love that you have kept those brighter clouds despite the overall gloomy mood of the image, and I love that their highlights tally with the light coming from the moon. I'd have liked to have thought that you added the highlights to the bridge stanchions, but I think they were close to full white in Dave's original.  The stagecoach is a lovely touch — especially with it being pulled by a white horse. Perhaps a tiny highlight on the horses forehead to match the moon light, but the light on its back from the coach is nice. 

The reflection on the water is very well done, but I bet you are thinking that you should have added the lit windows to the reflection.  I nearly always end up seeing things after posting, and changing the image without saying anything. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your kind words, Trevor!  The image was darkened overall, and Yes all the highlights were added for the new light sources.  Always after I do one of the quick illustrations, I think I should have taken more time, and added the window reflections as well.  At some point the post becomes uneditable and well that's when I had a chance to review it. 

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

"At some point the post becomes uneditable and well that's when I had a chance to review it"

Bob, are you saying that you are unable to reupload/replace previous upload? Maybe a silly question, but I have never uploaded an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the edit button is only usable foe a short while.  Not sure how long posts are allowed to be edited. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob - If you need a post edited drop me a PM.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, you can switch (back) to posting a live link so you can keep the image a work in progress for as long as you like, just like in the old days when it was the only option. I stick to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used that option Jacob. I'll have to look into it for future weekend Something's. Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines