• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 182 - Of cabbages and kings!

Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The time has come, the Walrus said,
To talk of many things:
Of shoes - and ships - and sealing-wax-
Of cabbages- and kings-
And why the sea is boiling hot-
And whether pigs have wings.
Extract Lewis Carroll - The Walrus and the Carpenter

There was some discussion in a previous SFTW thread of creating some challenges relating to specific world or national days. It turns out that today, Friday 17 February, is National Cabbage Day in the US. Who could resist a challenge like that? So we have our cabbage patch starter image, what will you do with it?

The “rules”:

* Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. I've made the background transparent to save you cutting it out. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW182Cabbages.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That takes me back.  When I was a lad we had to drive out to the fields before it got light, and be waiting for the light so we could get a couple of hundred boxes of lettuces to the wholesaler by 7am.  That was because they were nice and crisp with the morning dew on them, and the retailers had to get their stock in time to open at 8am.  You'd need to go a long way to find a greengrocer nowadays — outside of a market at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, that is a very interesting personal story!

For me, I have always had a lifetime deep passion for gardening and cooking. It all stemmed from my mom and I and our time together. At one point, I once had a small herb and vegetable garden. Mind you, this was way before the nowadays trendy - everything being organic and farm to table.

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's excellent blending of the posted image with the light and  colours of the rest. Great job K

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW182Cabbages submitted.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, Bob, and the first to meet the full challenge (title).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - excellent, and as Jacob says, it takes on the whole brief 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the creativity here is excellent.  Tough time to create a different take on cabbage!  So Here's the world's most honest sports drink!  The name says it all...

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 10.38.14 AM.png

[Image updated by moderator at request of Bob]

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A cabbage drink ! I think I might give it a miss. Shudder !!  🙂

Nicely done though Bob

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave!

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the transition from cabbage to splash.  I assumed the name was in a non English langauge, so entered it into Google Translate, and was susrprised to be told 'English detected', but I think this must be International Google Wind-Up day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its also Greek... i think it means house or home?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is American slang from my childhood because young boys do gross things and compete over anything.  It takes the word Spit and adds the extra letters for when someone launches said spit and accomplishes a great distance before it lands. The competition usually includes the word Spitioui as loud as possible for added distance during the spitting competition.  Good clean fun in my neighborhood.  So now you see the further meaning in the splashes 😉   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look *real* close you can see the cabbage...in there, somewhere.  lol

"Lost Horizon""Lost Horizon"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it hit the spin cycle!  Nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I nearly always find that expanding your images reveals more detail James.  In this case it also needed the CSI plugin to expose the cabbage zombies.

image.png 

BTW — Never, not for the remotest moment, did I expect hitting Google Images with Cabbage Zombie would get any hits. Since our SFTW threads can be bizarrely out there, Ged only knows what drove these nicely drawn cabbage zombies.  Is it from a computer game, or comic strip, or what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be from one of the "Plants vs. Zombies" games, maybe? The artwork looks familiar from that series.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lovely textures James, it looks like marquetry with well selected wood veneers 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As soon as I saw that cabbage, it reminded me of an old childrens program here in the UK - Crackerjack

There was a quiz section: each correct answer - you got a prize to hold.

If you got a question wrong - you got a cabbage to hold

If you dropped a prize or a cabbage you got another cabbage to hold

Three cabbages and you were out!

Picture (c) BBC archives

https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/posts/onthisday-1955-the-first-ever-edition-of-crackerjack-was-b...

Didn't the colorise neural filter do well !!

SFTW182-CrackerJack-col.jpg

 Yes, you had to wear a silly hat. Yes, that is a cricket bat as a prize

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My goodness Euan. How old are you?  I only just remember the show.  I think you had to be a school prefect to be on it.  Was it really in B&W? 

Eamonn Andrews went on to present 'This is Your Life' with his big red book and lines like [soft Irish accent] 'You thought she was safely tucked away in Australia, but here she is, with some excruciatingly embarrassing stories like how you used to wet the bed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, very old!

I love the look of the pressed creases in the right lads trousers - obviously dressed up !

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something different for the bride.

janee_0-1677180669425.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to SFTW Alberto. When she throws the bouquet someone will be able to make soup 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or a salad for the reception 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another excellent idea.  Very clever Alberto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This cabbage has been a form of inspiration of the great artists of the past.

VincentSunCabbage.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines