• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 188 - Scottish drama

Community Expert ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all who took part in our previous tower challenge.

This weekend I take you to a wild part of Scotland. This small mound of land is Ard Neakie on Loch Eriboll, a sea loch on the north coast. It really is a remote, and impressive part of the world and this weekend's challenge is for you to show us what drama might unfold there.

The “rules”:

* Use one of the starter images as at least part of your own image entry.

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum "regulars".

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

* The starter images are made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the images are not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW188LochEriboll.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 123 Replies 123
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An advert for tourism Ronald. I'm not sure what they will think of a Welsh dragon sneaking in there though 😮

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had searched on wikipedia for the scottish flag and this dragon was shown as the symbol of the scottish kings. In a way this is perhaps part of the Scottish drama

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the token Scotsman here I can attest that @ronald pottkaemper is correct 🙂

https://www.scottish-at-heart.com/lion-rampant.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Dragon

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A better arbiter, we could not have. I stand corrected 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW188LochEriboll.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now the viewer doesn't have anything to stand on 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ard Neakie architecture is catching on.

SFTW188_woods.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know those woods! A feeling of deja vu 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used generative fill in the Photoshop Beta to make this fancy private getaway. 🙂

SFTW188LochEriboll_MyraFerguson.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In another life, I'm sailing the world in a fancy yacht while working remotely with ultra-fast satellite Wi-Fi.

Wait... not working.  Just having fun sailing the world while working on personal projects using Adobe Creative Cloud applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that pool is heated - the north coast of Scotland can get a bit nippy! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding some other reacreation options.
Used PS Beta Generative Fill
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/generative-fill.html

SFTW188LochEribollGC.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like T**** has been opening another golf course in Scotland !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think the advent of AI and especially Photoshop's new Generative Fill is changing the nature of this challenge quite a bit. I liked it when it was a real test of creativity and editing skills. Now I fear it will become a trivial exercise of "what can I add to this picture without having to do any work"? Still creative, but in a very different way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, while novel, it takes away the creativity and skill which was always part of these challenges. We'll see how things develop but if it just becomes an exercise in typing then I'm not sure these challenges remain worthwhile.

On a side note, I've yet to find an AI generated composite that really passes muster when viewed closely. I tried a few on my own images and the results were fun, but obviously uprezzed objects in comparison to a high resolution background. Animal fur appeared to be a particular problem.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel bad for posting the image now 😞

I agree that typing in words isn't the same as PS editing. I was just experimenting with the Beta. This wasn't just a single set of words that generated an outcome staright away but can see why it's been used as an example of something problematic.

I'm sorry if this is the post that has made you (Dave) think of whether this challenge can continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't feel bad Dean - I am playing with AI here too 🙂 We can't put technology back in the box, nor would we want to.

I had already been wondering though what might happen to these SFTW challenges as AI composites became more common and the 'challenging' element diminishes.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the fun part of the Photoshop Challenges has been the "challenge". Dave usually gives us an image with perspective or shadows or lighting and it's been challenging for me (as a non-artist) to try to do my best. I've learned a lot over the years from these challenges both from what I've tried and what others have shared. Typing in a few keywords seems to defeat the purpose.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, was playing around with Generative Fill. And while it conjured content based on prompts, I made the selections for the placement of the content, selected or rephrased the prompt, and had 15 different generative layers. It's not exactly the same as placing my own content and masking it, but it did require my input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also add that what I selected and prompted for Generative Fill was conceptual. I didn't really love the mansion, I had to select from a second set of helicopters, and the tennis court is still, IMHO, not quite right. If I were creating something that would be a final product that needed to look a particular way, I would be doing it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is where AI scores at present for me. It is an excellent ideas generator/ way to try out rough ideas. I have not, yet, had it generate an image I would be prepared to release. As I said in another post though, it is early days and it will get better.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardly any surprise, Dave, I shall remain strictly NI, whether N be an abbreviation of Natural or No.

Still counting on this,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/something-for-the-weekend-part-100-ce...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, but then I'm embracing the new brushes that creat cool that would take a bit longer.   So is just another tool to use for creating.  The real power is in knowing or imagining what should be in a space where nothing exists now.  

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see we will soon have to divide SFTW into "classic" and "firefly"

It'll be like the CD v Vinyl wars of long ago 😉

The purists ( vinyl ) will only want to use Photohop "original" and the new kids on the block

will be prompting away filling in their time and selections.

Firefly CD-filled with Compact discs 89449.png

Firefly VINYL-large old black 78rpm records 73515.png

Thoughts ?

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The purists ( vinyl ) will only want to use Photohop "original"  

Thoughts ?

By @EuanWilliamson

I thought the purists were using real inks and paints and real canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines