• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend — Part 196 — Keep Rolling!

Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thank you to Dave for allowing me host this week with a photo I took a few weeks ago at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. This is BB-8, the hero droid who aided the Resistance in several Star Wars movies. What will you do with him? Send him to another battle? Or is he ready for some R&R?

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasize this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW196_BB-8.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Jane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 130 Replies 130
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“Bring your BB-8 bowl back for a free refill!”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if taking apart BB-8 to turn him into a bowl makes me a Jawa...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A gentle tap with his putter and BB-8 starts rolling

SFTW196_BB-8. JE01.jpg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poor BB-8 is coming in for some throwing, beating and hitting this week. He'll need a while to recover !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great job on the shadow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Leslie Moak Murray !

@davescm BB-8 can recover on Friday when you post a new image for us and he returns to his quiet life in a display case at the Franklin Institute. 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

"Or is he ready for some R&R?"

BB-8 has really had that if you mean Rough & Rude, or is that if you mean Rent & Ragged, and may need yet another kind of R & R on Friday.

Or maybe the call of the wild proves stronger, and the display case will remain empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this guide very useful when I was learning to "shadow" 🙂

https://youtu.be/m7ZQdF7BOFw?si=XPRlQzxRVsztEkRe

Best regards, Euan.
Discover how to easily create natural shadows using the Layer Technique in Photoshop! In this tutorial, we will use the concept of shadow hardness and intensity to paint a shadow layer by layer. Using Opacity and Blur Gallery filter as powerful tools in our arsenal we will make sure that the ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its some sort of Passion fruit-Taste 😉

IMG_9615_nmb.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A(nother) shocking sight, Nils.

Undoubtedly most find BB-8 very cool, but when it comes to a close encounter maybe also a tough cookie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... never chew ice cream... always lick it... 🤓☝🏼

and this ones definitely gonna last forever 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats clever Nils - nice job!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hi! It's been a while since I last played with animation in Photoshop, hope it's okay, here's my entry 😄 

Valdair-Leonardo-Something-for-the-Weekend-Part-196.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like it Valdair - BB-8 the balloon. 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Dave, I really appreciate it 😊😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice head rolling, Valdair! I remember reading that they did it with magnets in the three movies.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh that's awesome! I was making the head rolling only on the edges but to make it move with the body I had to convert to smart object and use the transform property, which comes with position and rotation together haha. Thank you so much, Jane! I had a lot of fun with this one! 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nicely done Valdair, and well seen.  I wouldn't be the least surprised if there really was a BB8 hot air balloon somewhere in this world.  I had to have a quick look see, and while I couldn't find a BB8 balloon, i did find Yoda and Darth Vader balloons.  Great to have you on the thread btw.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

woow those are amazing, I loved the Darth Vader one! I hope to be able to take a ride some day hah 😍 

Thank you so much, Trevor 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eventually, after all the beating, throwing and kicking BB-8 flew home....

SFTW196BB8goeshome.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope by "home" you mean BB-8 will be on Tatooine with Rey, Dave, and not enclosed again in the display case at the Franklin Institute? 🙂

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly Jane 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure why, as there is no real similarity, but this is reminding me of Red Dwarf.  I faked this to make a point, which rather misses the point, but I couldn't help myself.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do see the connection Trevor. 

I was just blending some simple gradients to test the new PS release when the image on the screen gave an idea for BB-8. A few blends, transforms and warps later.... 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines