• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 197 - Monstrous!

Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to @jane-e for creating our last 'BB-8' SFTW challenge, and to all who took part in it.

A couple of weeks ago many folk descended on Loch Ness, in Scotland, to search for the famous monster, which is said to inhabit the loch. No-one found anything, but the legend continues. At 23 miles long and 755 feet deep there is plenty of water there, but over the years there have only been a few grainy and blurry photographs of something in the water.

The following week, I was standing on the shore of the loch on a very calm morning and got to thinking that 'team Photoshop' could help put this right. So this is where you come in.

Can you show us your explanation of what the 'monster' might be or might look like?

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasize this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).
SFTW197_Loch_Ness.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

TOPICS
Experiment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 129 Replies 129
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After just one bottle Dave? And during the day? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After one bottle at that strength Dean, yes, and as the old song says "It's five o'clock somewhere......"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you finish off that bottle, Dave, ask yourself "What would Jimmy Buffet do?"

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I envision one of the minions of Cthulhu crawling up from the depths...

SFTW197_Loch_Ness_MJH.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so good.  love this

.....Suzanne Mathia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, so nice to see on one of our SFTW threads, and I see you are a SiFi fan as well.  I still read some of those old SiFi books, especially A E van Vogt titles like The Voyage of the Space Beagle, and the Null A books.  Actually just the first one 'World of Null A' as I can't find the sequel.  It saddens me that van Vogt was a follower of  L Ron Hubbard's Dianetics which lead to Scientology.  I loved L Ron's Battlefield Earth books, but abruptly stopped reading anything by him in a genuine fear of being brain washed!  I must have been about 30 years old then, so old enough not to taken in by that bollox, so I have to hang my head in shame looking back on it. 

I love the image btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor! I'm glad I was able to put something together, so often I download the image of the week thinking I'll pop something together, then two weeks later I remember that I forgot. 

This week was especially good because I was able to take PS 25 for a spin and I used the generative tools to create part of my monster. 

And yes, I'm definitely a sci-fi fan. This one owes to H. P. Lovecraft, but I've cut my teeth with Heineken, Vonnegut, Asimov, Tolkien, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I loved it too. There was an old horror movie about Ctulhu that I watched when I was a kid, and it left a mark haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realise that now we've seen Cthulhu, we'll be insane ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realsise that now we've seen Cthulhu, we'll be insane ! 🙂

Dave

By @davescm

Well, to be fair, I did mention this was only one of Cthulhu's "minions." So maybe we just go a little wacky...  "ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" 🤪

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I happened across a video about using color LUT recently, and realised I'd been missing out on some cool, and uber easy to use effects.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If he hooks the monster he's going to need a bigger boat !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And a bigger fire?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice moon reflection, Trevor!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW197_Loch_Ness.jpg

Creative Community Leader / Educator - Empowering fellow educators with creativity and innovation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A nice job Rolan.  Two things caught my attention with your upload:

1.  The serpent's connection to the water is flawless.  The reflection disappears behind the rock, and the tentacle camera-right is clear of the water as indicated by the reflection.  If this was done manually, it is very impressive, and if it is Ai it's also very impressive, but for a different reason.
  2.   If the red planet is in fact the moon, this is irrefutable evidence that there really is a 'Man in the Moon'.  Ipso Facto as a certain cartoon character used to say.  If this is not the moon, then it is is clearly the Man in the Moon's red cousin.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you confident that it is a man? It could also be a woman! Even though the sun in German is feminine and the moon masculine, it's the reverse in French.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very red future for earth the loch and earth rolan !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Placing monsters is serious business and needs to be meticulously planned. This is no Photoshop job.

AdobeStock_168654556-mg.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good one Monica!

.....Suzanne Mathia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Suzanne

But actually yours just so much rules this edition of SFTW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sensing black helicopters and three letter government agencies.  The scary thing is that now you have let this particular cat out of the bag, those same men in black suits will be knocking on your door.  Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've no idea how many internet conspiracy theories you've just started Monika ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! My job is done here, Dave 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the real loch ness? 🙂

SFTW197_Loch_Ness2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines