• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 198 - Spanner in the works!

Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had some great images and interpretations of our last Loch Ness challenge. Thanks to all who took part.

This week, rather than a scene, we have a spanner, or wrench for those on the western side of the atlantic ocean.

How creative you can get with this spanner?

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasize this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image below, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW198Spanner.png

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 172 Replies 172
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - very good didier 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW198Spanner.jpg

I never find the right tool for my bolts and nuts.

(the nuts are from Firefly)

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

love the look of this

.....Suzanne Mathia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucien, I wonder whether it takes a nutter to sort out the nuts, or nut, sorry not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spannerguy.jpg

.....Suzanne Mathia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like that a lot - and it prepares us for Halloween !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suzanne, I spent ages looking at this trying to work out how I would do it.  I'm looking at the taper and necking effect towards the outside.  Polar Coordinates has the opposite effect, and I tried variations without success

image.png

I am wondering if it is a Filter Forge effect like kaleidoscope?  I could do it by building a segment and using Step & Repeat, but I can't think of an easy way to do it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the background I created a brush out of the spanner the used it to create a Mandala

https://medialoot.com/blog/how-to-easily-draw-complex-mandalas-in-photoshop/

.....Suzanne Mathia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spanner at workSpanner at workSpanner at work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A multi-tool then 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schafi.jpg

Best Regards,

Sabine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So cute and imaginative

.....Suzanne Mathia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to SFTW Sabine. I like it a lot, the metal parts work well and now we know where we get steel wool from ... 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW198SpannerRev.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what comes of buying cheap tools 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In honor of the 50 Years of Hip Hop, AdobeMax musical guest, Rev Run of Run DMC! Back in my youthful hip-hop day, I was down with the king. Here, on this mature-aged day, I am down with the wrench. Down-with-the-wrenchpng.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes things get wrenged-up...SFTW198Spanner_nmb.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose you did hire George Christen for this job! At least he does such things without Photoshop. http://www.georges-christen.com/images27.shtml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it was Uri Geller back from the 70ties:

https://youtu.be/uULD35iTGuI 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it didn't break. You did bend it! 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what happens when the nut gets rusted on solid !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you don't use WD40 😂👍🏼

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh well done.  You've made a cracking good job of that.  I am seriously impressed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to work it all out.  I love how perfectly you have changed the perspective of the the ring end.  It reveals detail not there in the original, so you'll have had to create that from nothing.  It's not easy to keep detail like the '25' and even the shouldered edges when warping that much.  I think you'll have had to composite the 25 back in after warping, but — just maybe, as it is right in the centre of the bend — you might have been able to warp that tightly without distorting the text.  I'm just not sure! 😞  I think I'd have had to illustrate a lot of it from scratch.

image.png

I would be be very interested if you wouldn't mind sharing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines