• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 2 - What Lies Beneath?

Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following on from the great responses to last week's fun Photoshop challenge, I have a new one for this weekend

This is the Canning Dock in Liverpool, UK. That strange building on the left is the Longitude building and is not an artefact of my lens but it actually is built like that. When took the picture I liked the reflections but I wonder what it would look like if the water was crystal clear or if the dock was drained altogether? What would we see?

As with last week :

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop legend.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice / show off or bring a bit of humour and fun.

As requested, I've posted the image at a bit higher resolution this week, as it can help with composites. When posting back your edited images please downsize to 1500px on the long side.

To download, right click and Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser)

Liverpool-Canning-Dock.jpg

Enjoy...

Dave

(If anyone wants to take a look at last weekend's submissions - they are here Something for the weekend ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No takers yet?

OK, I'll start. It is Liverpool so I had to......

Liverpool-Canning-Dock-Edita.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liverpool you say?    Is that the Liver building in the background behind those dark rectangles?  That broad expanse of empty water throws up all sorts of possibilities, so time to get our thinking caps on.

Now then, calm down calm down

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. How cool is this. Google Earth does an elevated 3D view of Liverpool.  I don't know if THIS LINK will take you straight to it, or if you'll need to mess with the page widgets, but it is a great tool to explore the area with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - that's the place Trevor and it is indeed the Liver building in the background.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went for something scenic:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric 

I say . . .  I thought the pilgrims took that with them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, you all missed what it says on the red boat...enter, and you'll be greeted by this friendly face. Nevermind the funny accent...

the shining bartender.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, his name is Mr. Smith, and the accent appears to be...japanese.

Liverpool_matrix.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or maybe something cultural:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that a Eurotherm mining center?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric

Forget about Elvis leaving the building!  Has anyone spotted Winston. . . ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its been a dry week

liverpool_dry.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, some great entries so far

Semaphoric - if the scenery looks like that underneath , then we should drain the dock tomorrow . I also wondered if the library was left over from 2008 when Liverpool was "Capital of Culture"? I wouldn't like to have a seat under that ship though.

The enigmatic Mr Fosse sets us a challenge in his intriguing image. Is it only me that wants to translate the Japanese characters and see what it says, or is my PC now running the secret code in his image and is now mining bitcoins for Norway?

The conspiracy theorists will have a field day if they search and find USSNorway's entry and discover that the astronauts didn't land on the moon after all , they just went to Liverpool.

Keep them coming, remember anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go......

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might add to this, but time for bed right now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so the people in line have no reflection because their souls have been sucked out of the by the government?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha

Lots of nice touches in there Trevor. I like the Beatles on the roof and I see their yellow submarine was operating in your image, rather than stuck on the bottom in mine.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I liked the mosque and the boat refugees.  That really is the Liverpool mosque, just relocated.  I thought the dole queue would be lined up against the building, so too far back to be reflected in the water.  You can't see the wharf reflected after all.  Right, I've just had another idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liverpool's new underwater Football stadium:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at several football angles with it being Liverpool, and the the club's colours being so vivid.  I thought Matt Busby walking on water, but couldn't find a suitable source image of him.  I also thought about some sort of soccer match played on/in water. Those funy angled building don't help with working out the perspective, but if you are tying to make it work, then as near as I can tell, the vanishing point and horizon are near the base of the nearest corner of the black building with all the angles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're putting too much thought into this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric  wrote

You're putting too much thought into this

It's a funny image regards its perspective.  It's right hand two point perspective point is close enough to horizontal that I just pulled down some guides for my hole in the dock.  When I first saw this scene in my minds eye, I think it was actually that James Bond film with the lake in a volcano that opened up, and all those Greek (?) Bond buddies abseiled down from the false lake.  I don't know for sure how the various Thunderbirds launch, so I took artistic license.

I was pleased with the rocket blast.  Render fibers of course, with red and yellow.  Then select the best bit and put it in Quick Mask mode so I could use Gaussian blur to soften the selection, and invert and delete the outside bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The perspective in the image is awkward for a few reasons. If you look at a map, or the aerial image you posted earlier) then you will see that the dock is not rectangular so the left wall is not parallel to the right. Those buildings at the end are not built square to the end of the dock and the black building is a strange shape. But no-one said a fun challenge had to be easy

I also though of an underground cave - but mine continued the Beatles theme, this time leaving out the yellow submarine.

Liverpool-Canning-Dock-Editb.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to go back and check the original to see if you really had dropped the red boat.  It was a bugger to select, so kudos to you for that.  I'm out of ideas right now, which is probably a good thing because it is gone 1am again.  It was about this time last night when I was adding the refugee boat, and you can see it was all going to shite by that time, with mistakes creeping in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davepic.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines