• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 200 - Celebration cake.

Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It finally came around - this week we have the 200th edition of Something for the Weekend!

To celebrate I though we should share a cake. The cake is baked and iced in the picture below but it needs decorating, and that's where you come in.

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW200Cake.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

TOPICS
Experiment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a birthday cake do that to me once!!

My head shot.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is amazing Leslie.  Did you make the brush presets?  Some of it has a ParticleShop look to it.  If it is ParticleShop, then that's best use I have ever seen of them.  You, a lot of us can kind put on screen what we see in our heads, but it's having that imagination that makes all the difference.  Who would ever think that out of control birthday cake candles would look like?  But you made it happen and it totally works.  We are not worthy. 🙂

we-re-not-worthy.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hee thanks, Trevor! For the smoke, it's Photoshop brushes made from actual photos of smoke, and the sparks are spatter brushes. Now I've lost all my mystery ha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FAB, Leslie. I think the mystery is still there for me!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great characters as always Leslie. I love the expressions.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very important that you read this correctly (in your head)

Three diamonds = (In a darts match commontator's voice)  180!

Plus one times bone china = 200!

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - well thought out Trevor. I do like a cryptic SFTW! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting an early start for Guy Fawks on the 5th 🙂

Guy-Fawks-2.gif

I innitially used Generative Expand to extend the tablecloth to make room for the sparkler, but then thought it would look nicer with a proper background, and deleted the added pixels.  The weird thing is that when updating the smart object later on, it still regenerated the bit I deleted, even though it wasn't there any more.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a very nice job with the sparkler - what did you use?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually look for existing frame animations that have either a black or transparent background.  In this case it was black so the usual setting the layer to screen.  The sparkler had 27 frames, and it turns out that you can't change a blend mode unless the layer was turned on.  It would have taken a while to go through frame by frame, so I turned all of the layers on, changed the blend mode, and remade the animation using Layers to frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added a brush preset today (from Jesus Rameris upload about the new blur background feature in Camera RAW)

and later realised that the preset was not available in the beta version.  It's entirely obvious of course, but I hadn't thought about it and could have been caught out.  So I have changed the way I manage brush presets (for a start).  I have moved them all to a folder of Adobe assets in Windows Documents, and placed a shortcut to that folder in both 25.1.0 full release, and 25.2.0 beta.

What I am thinking is that with a 100 plus .abr brush files, I definitely go a very long time between using some of those groups, and could easily go past the previous major version presets, workspaces etc. that remain after a major update, and lose groups I have added in the last year.  It's not foolproof because if you create new groups and presets and export them, they go into the preset folder so you'll need to remember to export them to the new location, but having done so, they'll be available in both full release and beta versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was delicious. 🙂 

SFTW200Cake_Eaten.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, very good GC. You finished what Euan started

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!  Now that's a clever idea, and properly funny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one fork so one hungry person, who didn't even use the knife 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW200Cake submitted.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, why do they call them tealight candles?  

Oh, and I like the texture applied only to the icing.  That's a nice touch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tealight!.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember reading that climbers can't make a decent cup of tea because the water boils at a lower temperature at altitude.  I think you'd still be better off boiling your kettle on the top of Everest, than relying on that tiny candle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A tiered cake and a long lasting candle !  You do us proud Bob ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm wrote on 07 Jan 2018: "If I start one of these again..."

Dave

SFTW200Cake JE02.jpg

So glad you kept going past that first one Dave, and looking forward to SFTW 201 tomorrow morning!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - we do like a bit of math here Jane! I wonder who has been walking across the cake though?

I've just realised what day it is - another mystery starting soon ......

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, Dave — if you don't want to do the math (or use Excel), your best guess will probably work here! It's a run-on number, but the first two decimals are zero.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, two zeros followed by a seven?  Are you Licensed to Kill, or more of a Miss Moneypenny? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 200 Trevor 🙂

or 200.0060735....

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines