• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 200 - Celebration cake.

Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It finally came around - this week we have the 200th edition of Something for the Weekend!

To celebrate I though we should share a cake. The cake is baked and iced in the picture below but it needs decorating, and that's where you come in.

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW200Cake.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

TOPICS
Experiment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click to get closer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing to add elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did they have a divide sign in Roman times Jacob? If they did, the cake may be a bit dry now 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It came rather late, Dave, MMDCC years after Numa messed up the calendar by adding two months at the wrong end, which is yet to be corrected. So the cake is fine and fresh, just as you made it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After all this time, I just couldn't wait !!

SFTW200Cake-out.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it must have taken a wee bit of time, Euan, uncannily clean cutting and removing and eating; and then you grassed yourself up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicely done Euan - I hope it tasted good. I see you've removed the knife so no-one else gets a slice! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, the knife had the incriminating fingerprints

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I have ever seen a cake cut so cleanly, and without a single crumb left on the base board.  Unlike Jacob's zillion year old cake, this one also looks lovely and moist.  I wouldn't mind a bite of that missing slice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW200Cake-JEL.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy times JEL 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love how you also put some colour on the baseboard, and the balloons look to have got nice and accutately folded over the top and side. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trevor. I realize now I should have worked on the knife handle, too, but I ran out of time yesterday! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what you mean, it took me far longer to remove the knife than it did to remove the slice !!

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the colors and textures, J!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jane! I was still in fairy mode from the last one, I think. Meanwhile, I had thought to go in this direction, a photo mosaic of all 200 images from the challenge but couldn't quite pull it off in Photoshop and have it look right on the cake, lol. 

SFTWMosaic200.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh that is brilliant JEL !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, I happened to have all the thumbnails because of the database I set up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, I happened to have all the thumbnails because of the database I set up!

By @J E L

I was going to ask how on earth you had done that.  I dread to think how long it would have taken to do manually.  I'm counting 50 frames per side which is 2500, but we can see a wheel and pumpkin that appear to have several repeats.  The effect is amazing, and it is not easy to see how the mosaic is showing Dave while every tile still retains its full integrity.   I am really quite impressed.

Zoomed right in there's just a suggestion of Dave, but not in every tile.  Is this an example of how our brains collate limited information, and sort of fill in the blanks to create the image in oour heads? I am thinking that Dave's pupils are mostly unobscurred, and that might be the key to making it work.   

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dread to think how long it would have taken to do manually.  I'm counting 50 frames per side which is 2500

By @Trevor.Dennis

I don't know how JEL did this, Trevor, but it would be super easy to do it with Gridify in InDesign. 

• Load all the images to the cursor (File > Place or drag from Finder/Explorer or from Bridge)
    Okay to load the same images to the cursor multiple times
  • Start to drag-place, but don't release yet
  • Tap the right arrow key 50 times for 50 columns (assuming you counted 50; I didn't check)
  • Tap the up arrow key x times for x rows
  • Release the mouse

However you did it, JEL, it's a brilliant idea!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool JEL. What's teh secret to creating these type of images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, there is no secret. Here's how it's done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyh3OVZ560A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!  I didn't know that Contact Sheet was still available.  ISTM that the hard part would still be gathering all of those thumbnails.   Sometimes we need to stop pixel-peeping, step back and enjoy the pictures.  Goodness knows how many times I have raised my eyebrows when posters feel the need to 64bit zillion pixel images to print billboard size at 600ppi and similar obsessive compulsive Photoshop use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now it's Contact Sheet II, of course. I have all the thumbnails at my fingertips because of the database I built for all the Challenges, so that part was a snap. I suppose this old technique might be considered compulsive Photoshop use by some!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines