• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 201 - Heading Home

Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tiny harbourmaster's boat is heading back in to the harbour at Nairn in the Moray Firth, Scotland.  Is he just finished his shift, is the weather turning bad, or is something else chasing him in? That is up to you to show us.

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW201Headinghome.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who said romance was dead?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be a book in that, Trevor !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW201Headinghome-JEL.jpg

A white squall is a sudden and violent windstorm at sea which is not accompanied by the black clouds generally characteristic of a squall. It manifests as a sudden increase in wind velocity in tropical and sub-tropical waters, and may be a microburst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the way the foreground waves have turned into a beach JEL 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our TV news carried a story last night about record high temperatures in Brazil, and showed people crammed shoulder to shoulder on Copacabana Beach.  I was there in August in a hotel overlooking that beach, and got see quite a lot of it as for most of our time in Rio, I was stuck in the hotel with COVID. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I heard that the Loch Ness Monster likes to travel to various bodies of water in Scotland, or is that only on weekends?

SFTW201Headinghome JE01.jpg

Oh, now I remember — it's only in Something for the Weekends! The harbourmaster will do well to scurry along in his tiny boat if he has any hope of making it back to the harbor safely!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oi, who's pinched me meme 😉

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sorry @EuanWilliamson , of course this one belongs to you! 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a race - Nessie vs the harbourmaster ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A collector's item.

SFTW201inbottle.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, recycled in more than one sense, Dean.

And the cork is really needed to keep the standing waves, and the boat afloat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that the bottle from SFTW56 Dean ? Extra points then !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Dave - it's the SFTW56 bottle. As Jacob has indicated, I'm doing my bit in recycling. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tiny harbourmaster's boat is heading back in to the harbour at Nairn in the Moray Firth, Scotland. 

By @davescm

Goodness knows how he sees where he is going, but he looks to be happy in his work.  Must be all that Scotch Whiskey that comes with the job.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A tiny harbormaster is in his boat and is heading back to the harbor...

Super funny Trevor, and well executed! 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, a great take on the challenge Trevor ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW201Headinghome.png

Le sombre héros de la mer

(et pas le sombrero de ma mère)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dark indeed Didier

'(et pas le sombrero de ma mère)'  Haha 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Dreamhouse 😉

Firefly 20231122132211b.jpg

regards,
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah with your explanation Henrik I can see the harbourmaster did not have far to travel 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever there's trouble in the islands, Hawaii Five-Oh is on the case! Book 'em, Danno.Book 'em, Danno.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The orcas have spotted another boat to attack and sink!

SFTW201Headinghome JE02.jpg

They've attacked 500 boats since 2020, including between Scotland and Norway.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But they are only playing Jane.   We never saw ocra when boating in the sounds. They usually came into Queen Charlotte Sound (where the interisland ferries berth).  It would come on the VHF when they were spotted, but we were always miles away. 

We often came across dolphins. In fact the picture below was from the very first time we took the boat out.  We were doing 30mph and I was nervous with them so close to the propeller (there were another three on the other side of the motor), but they were completely in control and enjoying a wee tow.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your link, Trevor, and if that's how the orcas "play" I think I'll find other playmates!

This last attack was in the North Sea near Scotland.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/orca-rams-into-yacht-near-scotland-behavior-may-be-spreadi...

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines