• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 202 - Washed up

Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to those who took part on our previous 'Heading Home' challenge.

This week, instead of looking out to sea, we have a bit of driftwood that has been washed up onto the beach. We did a driftwood challenge in a previous SFTW (part 7) and got a great response. I hope this new piece of driftwood sparks your imagination and you can show us what you can make with it.

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only. Sorry to emphasise this, but the image is not for use elsewhere.

To download the image, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW202_Driftwood_on_Beach.jpg

I know masking is not everyone's favourite past-time but was not sure whether putting a clipping mask into the jpeg would make it through the forum image upload and download process, so to save you a bit of time, I've attached a rough mask below which you can use to separate the wood from the background. You can download it the same way as the image.

SFTW202Mask.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just how it feels here today JR  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW202_Driftwood_on_Beach.jpg

Wanted to be transparent with the use of Ai, so decided to have a screenshot of the layers, before I embedded the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW202_Driftwood_on_Beach2.jpg

I needed to do another version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the second one - it would have fitted well with our Loch Ness theme a few weeks ago 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice reflection in the water

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True friends waiting for help together

Click to get closer, Click again to get closer still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old returns to meet the new Jacob. Bonus points for bringing in the old SFTW image.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said it was a long winding way that brought me back, to where I had never been before.

Puzzled by the green board fence here,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/something-for-the-weekend-part-202-wa...

I went back through my own images and saw that your starter image in SFTW178 only had the middle part, so I went all the way back through the image archive that Jain has kindly made available to find out where Dean had found the full board fence, in vain, so that is still a riddle.

But it led me to discover the SFTW7, and I was in a hurry to post before anyone else came upon it.

And now I have finally seen your mentioning it in the OP, so everyone else had known about it all the time.

I always look at the starter image first, and often start working on it straight away. I wonder what others do.

And I still have no clue about the board fence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Puzzled by the green board fence here...

And I still have no clue about the board fence.

By @Jacob Bugge

We first saw the board fence with the small pot on the left in SFTW60, but it wasn't green then, nor did we see the full height.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/something-for-the-weekend-part-60-pot...

janee_0-1701288208853.png

I'll venture a guess that Dean composited the new parts of the fence.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also wondering about that one, Jane.

But I still wonder (in awe) how Dean could add the holly to the right and the leafless slender one to the left, exactly matching the parts and shadows cast on the central part of the board fence.

Dean? @Dean_Utian 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jacob Bugge - The extended backround from SFTW178S snowman was generated with the help of PS AI - Generative Fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that is very impressive, Dean.

This makes me wonder whether we can actually finally get the Unblur Filter (back) for the benefit of everyone stuck with with blurred number plate photos,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/something-for-the-weekend-part-74-sen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be children also...

Nicht benannt Kopie.jpg

regards,
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You start off with one , turn your back and............................  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that is subtle, Trevor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very clever Trevor. I would not have seen that in the driftwood.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to Driftwood Island

DriftwoodIslandRender.jpg

The original image used as a Heightmap and Basecolor input in Substance Designer and after exporting textures and applying them to a plane in Blender, an ocean created and added in Blender before rendering.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that's clever, Dave! 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The eroded tree rings look very like rock strata (is that the right term?) making it all the more true to life!  

A beautiful job Dave.

I couldn't help Googling rock strata, and was amazed at how incredible nature can be.  I wonder how far back this beautiful cliff face is?

image.png

There are supposed to be rock formations in Minnesota that are nearly four billion years old!  That's nearly as old as me!!

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter how hard we try, it is hard to get anything as fantastic as nature Trevor. There are some great rock formations out there.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused, Dave. How is it that your clever Driftwood Island has been posted for three days and has only one upvote?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, it's not about likes Jane. Just ideas and practice. That is what I enjoy with SFTW - seeing the different ways folk interprete the challenges.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I hope there is hope that there will always be room for NI creativity, such as your keeping (far) ahead with tough tools use like Blender and Substance Designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to look up what Ni creativity was 🙂  I hope so too - all creativity is welcome.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines