• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend -Part 21- A storm in a tea cup!

Community Expert ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
We've all heard, and probably used, the expression "a storm in a tea cup". I wonder what such a storm would look like. So for this weekend - I've provided the tea cup, or a least a 3D render of one, can you provide the storm?

As usual, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

You are not limited to Photoshop. Any software can be used e.g. Illustrator, After Effects, Character Animator, Excel.... well maybe not Excel, although there was a discussion in the lounge on an artist who used Excel for images.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below without the forum scaling artefacts, right click and then use Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW21TeaCup.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, is this a photo or did you create it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane - it is a 3D model which I created and rendered in Blender

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's very good, Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave you did say storm in a tea cup will this do

SFTW21TeaCup1.jpg

Wonderful work in Blender BTW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, I just said to my wife ' I wonder how long it takes before Stormy appears in this week's challenge'. You haven't let us down Ged!

Cheers Jane & Ged. It is fairly quick to do something like this in Blender. I wish Photoshop 3D was developed to be more powerful.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's mine,  nothing too fancy.  StormyTeacup.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That'll stir the sugar in Dave

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week021.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah Rista - Neptune rises and burns my biscuit !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tempest in a Tea Cup

SFTW21TeaCupJane.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a very clever twist on the theme Jane . Should it have a reflection in the tea ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should have a reflection, davescm, of course. I thought about that right after I posted and thought about deleting it and adding the reflection. Then I scrolled up and saw that Stormy had no reflection and no one commented on Ged's post, so I let it go thinking that no one would comment here.

I was wrong!

I also scrolled up and saw your phrase “a storm in a tea cup” in your initial post. Here in the States we say, “a tempest in a teapot”. Is that a cultural difference?

I made my own book cover using Adobe Stock so as not to violate copyright on anyone's cover designs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

I made my own book cover using Adobe Stock so as not to violate copyright on anyone's cover designs.

Very convincing it is too !

jane-e  wrote

I also scrolled up and saw your phrase “a storm in a tea cup” in your initial post. Here in the States we say, “a tempest in a teapot”. Is that a cultural difference?

It must be cultural - we have smaller storms in the UK

I just looked back through the posts and Ged's image does indeed need a reflection. I'm also not sure about the drop shadow on Rista's lightning - given that lightning emits light. We should give feedback in these threads if we see things that don't quite fit, as long as we keep it positive and constructive, it should help us all and other who may be watching these threads.
That said, all submissions are welcome here, I would hate to think someone was put off posting.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without the drop shadow my lightning brushes looked like white scribbling where the cup provided the background.

A choice of appearance over science.  Trendy but deplorable, I agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, we can hardly complain about scientific accuracy when we are making a storm in a tea cup!  

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tempest in a Teacup 2 (still no reflection!)

SFTW21TeaCup Jane 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'll find that it was well known that Prospero was in fact a vampire, and thus, has no reflection.

[EDIT]  BTW  I have been cornered into sorting out images for a glass splash-back, and will scream if I have to paint another bloody poppy. 😞  So not time for SFTW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - no excuses Trevor

No clever theme from me just a bit of cloud painting......

SFTW21TeaCupStorm.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking it looks like one of those upside down heads that works both ways.  Unfortunately I ruined thew effect, because I simply couldn't stop myself from covering your nice cloud effect, with some EC7 Animal Fur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works well Trevor. But now I want to know how you kept the tea in the cup

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it must be some Iced Tea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd not thought of hiding the reflection behind bubbles Jane.
Iced tea Semaphoric. Nice idea - I didn't see that one coming

It looks like the cup was swept away in the storm. Full disclosure - the whole thing, cup , sea , lightning, et all,  is a 3D model and render in Blender. I used Photoshop to tweak the final composite.

SFTW21TeacupStorm2.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ocean is Blender? Quite amazing and realistic, Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is amazing what you can produce Jane. Well worth learning.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines