• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 210 - Thou shalt have a fishy!

Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone who participated in our previous coffee bean challenge.

This statue, of one of the last of the fish-wives in Nairn, stands life size near the harbour. I am not sure who created this bronze but the detail is excellent. For this week's Photoshop challenge - can you show her in her working environment?

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc. and is respectful to the real fishwife on who the statue is based.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off your skills, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image,  hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW210Fishwife.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

TOPICS
Experiment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 146 Replies 146
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too - they are so distinctive and so regal !

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to get something in before I get busy and then another SFTW arrives. 
Will sleep on other ideas 🙂

SFTW210FishwifeNews.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Breaking news indeed, Dean, too good to use as a wrapper for whatever else she may offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, the breaking news is that some of the images in this thread have been Photoshopped !! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No @davescm? Could it be true? I've heard rumors of a smidgen of AI here and there too? Could you verify, cos all of this seems a little fishy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, the breaking news is that some of the images in this thread have been Photoshopped !! 🙂

Dave

By @davescm

Never ever! That's fake news. There is no such thing like Photoshop. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click to get closer, Click again to get closer still

For anyone absent in January 2021,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/something-for-the-weekend-part-125-ju...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get to some strange parties, Jacob 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Dave, in this case maybe crashed by a couple of spatio-temporal agents in disguise (Laureline in green and Valerian in gold).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a little colorizing and replacing parts of the enviroment. She's not totally lifelike but more like a color diorama.

SFTW210Fishwife-MyraFerguson.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im sure she would approve of your wardrobe improvements here !

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like this. An excellent job on the basket and shoes. Nicely done, Myra.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In her former life she had always wished to see the fine faraway city with her own eyes, in disguise to blend in.

Click to get closer, Click again to get even closer to her eye colour.

Edited back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any image Jacob (using Firefox). If I hover over the blank space I get a link to your website.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. I use Safari on my iPad and this is what I usually see for Jacob's posts:

janee_0-1711718543923.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, Jane, that is serious.

It is fully visible for me, in Firefox, and when I Click it, I get to see the enlarged version as usual.

May I ask yous what happens when clicking the blank space?

It seems to be the same issue reported by Lucien here in SFTW 209, with the assumption that it is a cache issue,

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/something-for-the-weekend-part-209-wa...

I wonder what may be the exact cause and cure.

Edit:

Maybe strangest of all, for you Dave there seemed to be no issue with my first two entries here, Spanish pinching of Scottish basket, and Jungle Temple.

I presume you were unable to see those as well, Jane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the space there is a link - but I don't click on links in posts. The easiest workaround is to use the forum widget to upload the image.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quite understand, Dave.

But this seems to imply that there was no issue with my former entries here and in earlier SFTWs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it OK in Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just letting you know that I use IPad with Safari and I'm able to see your image. Beautiful blue eyes😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that seems to show it this a mystery, Tania, since Jane is unable to see it with the same device and browser combination.

And thank you very much for your kind words. I see the eyes as verdigris (green), with a depth surprisingly similar to the darkest original colour of the shawl beneath the cord over her right arm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With me, it's initially present. As soon as I try to zoom my browser, it disapears. There may be other actions that make it a no show, however. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2024 Mar 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post for tests and comments on disappearing image(s), presumably to be edited.

EDIT: HOPEFULLY FINAL FINDINGS:

It seems that there has been some strange temporary issue with the Khoros software which affected two of my SFTW image entries, the one above on 24th March and my first one in SFTW 211 on 30th March.

All entries before and after have been unaffected.

Reentering the two images restored them to work fully and be visible at any time, and hopefully the issue will stay away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MJ Nairn harbour fisherwives.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines