• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 216 - Rock on!

Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After last week's 'Walk on' challenge in Yorkshire, I thought we should continue our outdoor adventures. Everyone loves a rock pool, so we start this week with some coastal rocks on the Northumberland coast. What can you make with this? Will it be something that comes out of the sea, or something living in a pool?

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off your skills, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image,  hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW216Rocks.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 169 Replies 169
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You found (captain) Nemo then, Euan 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No AI used for this composite.

Just noticed that I love this color palette. 😊

Editing Challenge.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow this is amazing! How did you create these wavy lines, could you share your workflow, please? It turned out gorgeous 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is really quite beautiful.  You could do the sky with:

Select foreground, background colours and run a gradient down a layer.

Render fibers and rotate 90°.

Gausian blur 10 pixels.  (Actually, I think I might have stepped back and deleted that step)

Distort > Wave with the settings below.

Free Transform to expand the result.

You could make it a Smart Object and Liquify to fine tune the waves.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a ton, @Trevor.Dennis! I really appreciate it! I was guessing motion blur, liquify and some masking but I was sure there would be a way better way of achieving the effect and there really was. Tks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a bunch, happy you like it!

These wayvy lines are my way of creating long exposure skies. I used the path blur.  

Feel free to have a look at the file here and/or download it:

https://photoshop.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:EU:d9c6b3d2-3f46-43b2-a344-7b941f85f74c

Note: I set the 2nd radial blur to Pin Light to get that slightly grainy effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes Kathrin.  Path Blur is an outstanding tool, and one I had been ignoring till I saw this video from Jesus Rameriz.  He always manages to take things up a level.  Guys, it's 38 seconds, and if you are not already a regular user of Path Blur, you'll be glad you watched this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Danko!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woooow amazing! Thank you so much! Path blur for the win haha ❤️ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty nice !

_______
Senior graphic designer | United Nations Population Fund

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beautiful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice, very very nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - that's excellent Kathrin 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a bunch! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Great idea to keep the outdoor adventures going! The Northumberland coast is a beautiful spot, and I’m excited to see what everyone comes up with. I love the idea of using the starter image to create something fun and creative. Whether it's a sea creature or something living in a rock pool, the possibilities are endless.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's entries and enjoying the creativity! Let's have fun and get inspired by the coastal rocks.

Best,
james

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time for a walk in the cold!SFTW216RocksSnow.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I've never seen a snow dog.  Mind you, the last time it snowed where I live, was the last Ice Age.

Where did they get the twigs for the arms from?  Everyone knows that trees don't grow north of Hadrian's Wall.  The Sycamore Gap tree was the last tree before Scotland. 

image.png

And some bugger has chopped that down now.

image.png

The 'Perps' appear before the Crown Court in Newcastle (near where Dave lives) tomorrow (12th June 2024).  Why would a person do something like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad he got nabbed! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was shocking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brrr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one - I'm sure it will warm up by July 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brrrr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis I've never seen a snow dog either until I was in Central Park this past winter. I saw more than 1 snow dog that day. There were some pretty clever snowmen/women/dogs around the park.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines