• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 217 - Cracked Up!

Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thank you to everyone who took part in Dave's Walk On challenge. A special thank you to Dave for allowing me to take a turn to host this week and share my image! 😊

This is a photo I took of the Liberty Bell while visiting Philadelphia. It was made in 1751 and now resides across the street from Independence Hall in the Liberty Bell Center. It's the symbol of liberty and has been used by abolitionists, women's suffrage advocates, and Civil Rights leaders. The inscription says, "Proclaim Liberty Throughout All the Land Unto All the Inhabitants thereof".

What story can you tell us with this?

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off your skills, or bring a bit of humor and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image, hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW217LibertyBell.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Jane

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for starting up the challenge this weekend Jane.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a shame they let it get in such a state. Somebody was definately taking liberties 😉
I've fixed it up for you.

SFTW217LibertyBellfixed.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice polishing job Euan! According to the National Park Service, the bell is made of bronze with 70% copper, 25% tin, and small amounts of lead, gold, arsenic, silver, and zinc. The wooden yoke is American elm.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivity bell

SFTW217LibertyBell.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This reminds me of the stocks that the Puritans liked to use to punish the the lower class. Someday, will generative AI figure out that people have both a left hand and a right hand and not distort their fingers? 😊 Good idea! 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear bell, I feel you, since we are all Kintsugi.

SFTW217Liberty-Bell-Kintsugi.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first repair in the 1840s failed when a second crack appeared. I think your  Kintsugi will work just fine!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

liberty bell.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duct tape fixes everything! (gaffa tape in the UK)

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just fixed the crack 🙂 

janee_0-1719097094500.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very clever @Padsbernardo ! But what will happens when someone pulls on the zipper pull? 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click to get closer, Click again to get closer still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May the bell ring again now that it has the clapper!

IMG_0281.jpeg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2024 Jun 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, when swinging it to touch the sound bow, I realized that this particular bell clapper is also the bell cracker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW217LibertyBell_Portent.jpg

Turbulent times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this Alan! Great idea and nicely executed.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! With July 4 coming up, and given the subject, I thought a little symbolism was appropriate. Curiously enough, I believe this is the first time I've ever used the Divide blending mode in a composition: one of those serendipitous moments!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Get outa my pub!

Or was a different ladlady?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

love it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something I might have done before I retired, and still do for local schools, community groups and old folk who can't afford to pay a trades person.  

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed! Nicely done Trevor!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing that it's the unseasonal heat we have been hearing that you guys are having that has cracked the bell.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to look up " Kampanaphobia Trevor! Happy to see there is  cure and that fewer humans will be eaten by tigers who wear bells! 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines