• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 28 - The basement

Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's amazing what goes on in a basement (or cellar on this side of the Atlantic). I made this scene earlier this week for another purpose, can you now add to it and show what might be going on in this dusty old basement?

If you are just having a bit of fun - go right ahead. For the photo-realists, the lighting is a bit tricky with two main sources behind and to the side, but we can't make these things too easy

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW28Basement.jpg

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last time I played a computer game, it was the original Doom. so I don't really know how they are supposed to look, but it had that sort of look about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great start Trevor

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a try .....

SFTW28BasementEdit.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are great, Trevor and Brad! I was always told basements are scary — now I know it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Brad! Welcome to SFTW.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gunpowder Treason and Plot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This is starting to look like one of Trump basements bunker. Lots of hazard products and blood.

I bet more horror stories under that floor.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pierrec86934804  wrote

Hi

This is starting to look like one of Trump basements bunker. Lots of hazard products and blood.

I bet more horror stories under that floor.

Pierre

If the Washington Post's David Fahrenthold is right, you'd be able to identify Trump's subterranean properties by all the portraits of himself that adorned the walls, all illegally paid for with funds from his charity.

This is the portrait of Donald Trump that his charity bought for $20,000 - The Washington Post

Pierre , you should have kept that to yourself, and knocked out a SFTW image along those lines.  It would have been a winner for sure.  You could have included Trump admiring said portraits with a Walt Disney type 'Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the smartest of them all?'. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor

I wish having more time and stamina for doing composite images for "SFTW", but I enjoy looking at all the creative ideas from it.

I'v been doing this for 45 years, (started this in my dad darkroom) and won some prizes along the way. Like my dad used to say : Full le Fun.

Thing is, since 10 years I'm the webmaster of a site that the goal is to help kids ( poor and sic children). My friend and author, walks over the world (90 countries so far) to help children (in many countries) via some organizations. Yes, he walks every day and send me text and photos that I optimize and publish. My challenge is to create a story every day using he's images and text.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Taking us back through time Trevor.  As an aside, Guy Fawkes was born in York just 50 miles from where I live.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

Taking us back through time Trevor.  As an aside, Guy Fawkes was born in York just 50 miles from where I live.

Dave

I love that Marty and the Doc are there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

davescm   wrote

Trevor.Dennis    wrote

Dave

I love that Marty and the Doc are there

Great that people spot and get the references.  I was going to put a label above King James — he with the dart, dagger and arrow stuck in his portrait — being so hated, as he was, by Catholics.  I surprised myself when I discovered it was actually the House of Lords that Guy Fawkes tried to blow up, and not the Houses of Parliament.  You live and learn.  I also did not know that guy managed to escape the torture that would have followed his hanging, by leaping from the gallows and breaking his neck.  I guess spies did not have cyanide pills hidden in their teeth back then.

Pierre, well done your buddy walking for charity.  I'm actually thinking of doing a sponsored walk myself.  I hope to get as far as the fridge in the kitchen on day 1, but just in case, I have stashed some chocolate at the halfway stage on the dinning room table.  Wish me luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor

No sponsored walk in this case.

But, I do like like your humor, it remind me of my Author (brother-in-law) humor as well as mine.

Wish him luck, at 75 years old, he is walking 2 500 + km this year (Innsbruck to San­tiago), to make peoples aware that child's care is important.

Like my father used to say, Fun le Fun.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To some it's a dusty old basement , to others it is home sweet home.

SFTW28BasementSpider.jpg

(Spider image from Pixabay)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pets in the basement

Basement.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome KJerryK - I bet Rista's thief thinks twice before going in there !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spooky Basement

Ghost-1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the translucent ghost Trevor. What did you use to draw it?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ghost image took me a tiny fraction of the time it took to do Guy Fawkes.

Search Google for ghost image and set type to animation.

Open animated ghost in Photoshop.

Select all the frames, and drag cellar background to the bottom of the stack.

Group the ghost layers and set the group blend mode to screen (the ghost was on a mostly black background).

As that was so easy, I thought I'd better add some more detail.  I'd had the ghost idea last night, and had planed to have it walk out of one wall and into another, but the blue spectre was too nice not to use.  So I looked for 'skeleton transparent background' and found the swing.  It turned out to be a crap cutout, and had a strong white fringe, so I had to set it to multiply anyway.  Luckily it had almost the same number of frames as the spectre, but as you know, when adding to an existing frame animation, you have to manually sync the frames and layers, but with 22 frames, still only five minutes. 

So a bit of a cheat, but I just loved that blue spectre.  I wouldn't be surprised if the spectre was converted from a movie effect using the Pepper's Ghost trick.  The sort of effects that Hitchcock would have used before Industrial Light & Magic, and Weta Studios came into being. 

Pepper's ghost - Wikipedia

Come to think of it, I bet someone reading this will realise they are using the same trick to produce a heads-up display on their car's windscreen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After seeing Trevor's posting I just had to try an animation in Photoshop, never tried it before but finally got it --

AND THE RACE IS ON

BasementRats240.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - that really did make me laugh

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave

A question -- I presume the idea behind Something for the Weekend is to do everything in Photoshop. Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Although it lends itself to Photoshop, it is fine to use any software you like. We have had images done in Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects. So the software doesn't matter - having fun with images does.

Incidentally the starting image this week I made in Blender 3D.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KJerryK,

This reminds me of when I was 19 years old and worked for 5 months as a security guard in downtown Washington, D.C. on the midnight-to-eight shift. For the most part, I could read, but once an hour I had to do my rounds and turn a key in a box as proof that I was doing my job. The worst part was that as soon as I opened the basement door to turn the key, all the rats would go scurrying around the basement floor. There must have been 50 or more and they were as big as cats. Thanks for the memories (I think!)

Or maybe the worst part was the time I heard the door open behind me and saw in the reflection of the door glass that two scruffy men were holding guns on me in shooting position. It's a toss up.

Great animation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines