Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 34 - Trebuchet

Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This "medieval" trebuchet, at Urquhart Castle on the banks of Loch Ness, Scotland,  is actually a replica built in 1998. These things must have been formidable in their time and this replica, with a 8 ton counterweight on the end of that 26 foot arm, was tested and threw an 18 inch 250 pound stone more than 200 yards.

You can see it in action on video here : https://scottmanning.com/content/the-urquhart-trebuchet/

So for this weeks challenge - can you put this trebuchet to use - either for its original purpose of throwing things or to some new use entirely.

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW34Trebuchet.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice idea Dave, and I have a feeling this will generate some animations.  I hope I get my system back up and running in time to have a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking forward to seeing what ideas people come up with for alternative uses (stills or animations, all welcome)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping Jive will let us post the pictures this week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every kid should have one of these, whatever they are called.

Week034.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent Rista. Great lateral thinking !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Protecting the homestead at all costs

Number34.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that's a mind picture I could do without.  It could have been worse I suppose, if it had had this brass plaque on the side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

expresspost.jpg

I should have removed the glass cover panel but keept it because I like the effect

sign is from Adobe stock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir Clive Sinclair now works for Adobe ?!!  I didn't know that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But is it art ? .....

SFTW34IsItArt.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I love it.  That is funny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry - Seeing that notice would definitely put me off trespassing there there

USSNorway - I think I've had one or two parcels delivered via that machine, judging by the state they were in on arrival.

Great ideas - keep them coming!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Rista says Dave, that is very funny. It is also very nicely executed.      If Jackson Pollock was still alive and did one of those 'Meet the Ancestors' TV programs, I think they just might find a painting of your image from his Byzantine period ancestors. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice, Jacob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is that like the playschool window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to SFTW Jacob. Now we know how the round window was created .

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No entries today ?

Anything goes !. If you have an idea , do it and post it !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave, and certainly. Post #13 was my first posting ever in the Photoshop forum; and I have only visited it very few times in this Millennium, never in the former one.

Ussnorway, you may say so, or as a matter of seeing things from the other side, as in The Castle of Llyrr, The Cavern chapter, the pleasant memory of which formed the basis of my starting to work on this.

And thank you, Jane, you lured me into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jacob+Bugge  wrote

Well done Jane. Chief SFTW recruiter !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jacob+Bugge   wrote

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Dave

This has me cracking up, Dave!

I keep thinking I'll have time to do something with this picture, but I have three sets of company in 8 days, so it may not happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so its the view of Princess Eilonwy​ looking out at her tower prison... cool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway,

That would be yet another intriguing interprtation. I was thinking of the retort that Fllewddur Fllam gave Glew in the chapter mentioned, one of the most excuisite utterings in all of the five books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines