Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 35 - The tube

Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This tube station is a 3D render which I modelled, based on a scene from a James Bond movie (Die Another Day). It is not an exact replica of the film scene but it is loosely based on the station features and camera viewpoint. As is the way with these things, it took a bit longer to make than I initially thought. However, I learnt a few things along the way so it was a good exercise in 3D modelling and texturing.

So for this weekend's challenge, I bring you the empty old station. What will you do to bring it to life?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW35Tube.jpg

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing 3D work Dave  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ged - I'm looking forward to seeing what the the folk on this forum can do with it

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A sensational 3D render Dave.   You are getting seriously good it.  I have my desktop up and running again, so I'll have to try and think of something.

[EDIT]  I have just opened up the full size render in Photoshop and viewed it 1:1, and I am even more impressed.  I love steel and metal textures, and the rails are amazing.  Right down to the little insulators beneath the powered rails.  The textured edge to the platform is also very good, but the best bit has to be the recessed grout between the tiles.    Hang on a minute... There something coming out of that tunnel, and it looks angry!!

Image result for scared smiley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor

Thank you. For anyone interested , the objects are modelled in Blender, including things like the rails, clips, insulaters etc. Then the finer surface detail, including the tiles and  grout, was added in Substance Painter building up the surface materials in layers. So the recessed grout is not modelled but uses a normal map to simulate the position of the fine surface details. The render then uses the normal map to cast the shadows and catch the light on the surface realistically.

The untextured model looks like this:

So back to SFTW - have fun !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have lost the plot on this one

SFTW35Tube2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've had that hangover Ged

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even the dirt is spread around most realistically

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're seriously becoming better and better, Dave!
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I do miss some Ambient Occlusion (AO) here and there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Maurice.

I use Blender's Principled BSDF shader and Cycles to render PBR metallic/roughness maps from Substance. As you will know Blender Cycles does not have a global ambient lamp just a World AO (with built in occlusion calculation). So using prebaked AO maps would actually make it less realistic (IMO). So you are right, I don't use them.  I'll take another look though and try a render with those maps and see if it looks better (accurate is not always best!)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

There are no prizes

With all due respect Dave, I must take issue with the above. As you also said "the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun" is a prize to be enjoyed, not dismissed. Thank you.

In any case, here is a contribution that occurred to me.

TunnelStationB.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KJerryK  wrote

...."the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun" is a prize to be enjoyed, not dismissed.

Jerry - That is a perfect attitude for SFTW and the forums.

Some nice touches in that image with the changed signs and the Cheshire cat. I especially like the "Way Way Out" sign!

Rista - Bond returns - will he save the girl on the track? Hopefully, he will before her hair touches the live rail !

Great to see these - keep them coming!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You never know what you might find down there! (Animals from Pixabay)

SFTW35TubeChase.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week035.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be willing to post the 3D model somewhere? For what I have in mind glTF would be best, but any format would be convertible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW35Tube_work.jpg

This sort of thing actually does happen, when long-forgotten water mains break, or when worker drive pilings into the river bed a little too far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semi, nice idea, but you could have had a surfer riding the wave.  You good at doing water, although the side tunnel flow is a bit Salvador Dali.

Rista's is more Inception than James Bond me thinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James Bond you say?  This comes from a conversation about very early computer games, and specifically the orginal Doom from the nineties.  It's about the only computer game I've played on a PC (I did all the space invaders type games on BBC Micro and Amiga 1000) and I'd said how the big red monsters used to scare the bejezus out of me.

I was talking about the spherical beasts that appeared towards the end of the game.  You'd be reversing and firing  as fast as you could, and I used to physically back away from the keyboard.  The shape didn't fit this composite though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome back Trevor, glad to see you have your PC up and running,  I'd missed the lasers and rockets !

Semaphoric - I watched a TV documentary, the other night, on the victorians building the first tube lines. Work had to be delayed when they broke through a main sewer. I prefer the clean water in your image !

Colin - I'll drop you a PM

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one wee point Dave.  I had to use Quick Mask to remove Q from his background. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Rista's is more Inception than James Bond me thinks.

Interesting observation Trevor.

Actually what I had in mind were the Perils of Pauline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking ahead a few thousand years

SFTW35TubeApocalypseDust_2.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just looked twice at that Jerry and saw the shadows changing - then realised it was a GIF

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Railroad tracks always make me want to do an animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor -

The side river looked just too placid, so I tied to add some waves with Liquify, but the stylus pressure didn't respond as well as I'd hoped. I couldn't decide, "Surfer? Kayak? Canoe?", so I went with  "Noe of the above".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines