Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 35 - The tube

Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This tube station is a 3D render which I modelled, based on a scene from a James Bond movie (Die Another Day). It is not an exact replica of the film scene but it is loosely based on the station features and camera viewpoint. As is the way with these things, it took a bit longer to make than I initially thought. However, I learnt a few things along the way so it was a good exercise in 3D modelling and texturing.

So for this weekend's challenge, I bring you the empty old station. What will you do to bring it to life?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW35Tube.jpg

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I really appreciate the feedback.  We try to get things as right as we can, but don't always see everything.  When I did the Sky-Bridge image, I deleted and replaced it five or six times after seeing little mistakes that I couldn't live with.  The train was the hardest bit.  Perspective Warp was not doing a decent job, so I had to keep hunting till I found a train close enough to FT into the perspective.  It wasn't a Hogwarts Express though, so I made the HE plaque, number and other wee details as I also had to flip it.

I now have to tell you about the Wairarapa line that goes from Wellington to Masterton.  When it was built it used steam trains, which was problematic because of a steep incline with a longish tunnel.  They needed three engines to haul up the incline, and livestock in the upper tiers of a two tier rolling stock would die from the heat and steam.  I apologize to animal lovers for the unpleasant mind picture.

Wairarapa Line - Wikipedia

The Fell Engines used a gear on a third track.  I am sure most people will have seen this sort of thing in places like Switzerland.  I wonder if the Snowdon train used a system like that?  I have climbed Snowdon more times than I can remember, but usually via the Crib Goch route, and certainly never via the tourist track next to the railway!

If anyone reading this ever gets to NZ, the museum at Featherston is worth a visit.  Note I don't think that is the Rimutaka line in the picture above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job on the train Trevor - I hadn't realised you hade made the details to turn it into the Hogwart express

Yes the Snowdon railway uses a similar system, called the Abt rack after the Swiss inventor - Dr Roman Abt. It's amazing what we learn when following SFTW threads

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A dual portal, Dave: theirs that may lure any of yous that may know little enough to be tempted into the tunnel, and yours that may offer Elise and Karl (Wassermann and Roebuck) a way out into saneness without their evermore having to part the parted departed.

Concerning angles of feet, I though it was the girl keeping the boys on their toes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I had no idea what you were talking about there, and had to resort to Google for an answer.

Is this right?

The Tunnel (TV series) - Wikipedia

I'm still not sure what it's all about.

Harry and Ron were demonstrating what medical professionals refer to as 'Quidditch Foot'.  This is an unfortunate byproduct of spending too much time riding a broomstick.  There are other problems associated with Quiddich, similar to what racing cyclists can suffer.  I can only suppose that the Essax saddle pictured below, is designed for additional lateral stability, but it makes your eyes water just thinking about riding a bike so equipped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

The Tunnel (TV series) - Wikipedia

I'm still not sure what it's all about.

its a 'me too' remake of another cop show called "the bridge"... a murder happens in the middle between two countries and both sides put one cop on the case to solve the murder fast because no body has full control.

the twrist is that the murder is two people [cut in half] by a sicko... one hocker and one rich girl, as a way to make them both worth the same... it is in fact a very good cop show but you need to watch all of it to get the full story in the end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the one, Trevor, as Ussnorway said (I later found out there was a precursor).

Being unsure what a story (including book, film, series) is all about, even after reaching the end, may be a sign of sanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Jacob, I had no idea what you were talking about there, and had to resort to Google for an answer.

I can only suppose that the Essax saddle pictured below, is designed for additional lateral stability, but it makes your eyes water just thinking about riding a bike so equipped.

My turn to look something up in Google; I had never heard of the Essax saddle. Some reviewers say it keeps your knees in place; others compare it to the Spanish Inquistion. I'll stick with my Brooks saddle, made in the U.K. I love it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sorry I missed out on this challenge, placing a swimming pool in a Paris metro station was an exercise I had my trainees do for years.
Here's a variation.

The tube.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines