• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 36 - Out of your shell !

Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks to all that took part in last weekend's tube station challenge  (Something for the weekend - Part 35 - The tube ). There were some great ideas and images.

This week I have something a little different. Back in February we had a very succesful challenge based on a piece of driftwood ( Something for the weekend - Part 7 - Driftwood ). I was blown away by the range of ideas that came out of that simple object. So for this weekend I bring you a couple of shells. What can you create with them ?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW36Shell.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

barbershop.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Jacob I won't be stepping outside with that looking in !

Dag - that is very appropriate, considering the origin of the phrase in the thread title

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, Dave; after the tube I decided to try something cute, albeit maybe weird, abandoning the other one which would inevitably have looked something like the one of danger you showed (I came as far as fitting an ((other kind of) reptile) eye and imagined both in the same (yet undecided) context, before the porthole came up), which reminds of of what is being said about the significant difference in wildlife between two neighbouring countries down under.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never a need to apologise on this thread Jacob and don't worry about a similar theme, if you've made it post it . I do like the brasswork - we might have to do a steampunk theme one weekend.

Actually that danger sign you mentioned is in a nearby lake in the UK. We don't have crocodiles but the sign keeps the small kids out of the water!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Actually that danger sign you mentioned is in a nearby lake in the UK. We don't have crocodiles but the sign keeps the small kids out of the water!

Dave

Just point at the tadpoles and tell them they're crocodile babies. Geez, when I was a kid adults would actually say things like that to keep us away from certain places - today that would probably get you reported to the authorities for traumatizing the little ones. The children, I mean, not the tadpoles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the microscopic monsters you need to worry about.  I read a report a couple of days ago, about a man overcome by algae while escaping police.  When I Googled to find a link, I got more than I bargained for with several similar stories, so mind where you swim.

On a slight tangent, something else that happened while using Google just now — the autocomplete tool went all bizarre on me.  They might want to do some more work on their algorithm, or whatever it is that does that sort of thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

I tried to find a photo of me standing in front of a "Beware of Crocodiles" sign when I was backpacking on the Serengeti Plains, but failed. Anyway, they told us the hippos were much more dangerous than the crocodiles and that's what we should be watching out for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would wear this earrings. In a heartbeat.

SFTW36ShellJE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But can you hear the sea with those shells near your ears ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only if my name is Sally!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Only if my name is Sally!

Sally being who you referred to in the email?  A very pretty girl! 

I have not done anything else with the shells, but I did feel inspired when Dag complained about the CC 2018 Splash Screen in the Sneak Peeks thread, so I'll take a wee liberty and share that here.  The comment I made over there was how useful Lazy Nezumi's Vanishing Lines preset is for this sort of composite, as it lets you quickly add famework of guide lines to place elements within.  The one gotcha to warn you about is that the setup does not survive a resize.  I fell into this trap myself after downsizing from the original 1400 pixels to  1200 pixels for  the upload, and then thinking of  more stuff to add, and wondering why the guides were not working out.  It only takes a moment to correct them though.  So if you own LNP and enjoy making composites, do try the Vanishing Lines preset.

[EDIT]  As always, LNP is only available for the Windows OS, so not helpful for people like Jane, who uses a Mac.  This is unlikely to ever change according to Guillaume Stordeur, who writes LNP.

Splash Screen Eliminator.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just need to say one thing before this week is wrapped up: I blew it.

The barbershop image I posted missed its single biggest potential, the mirror. A mirror is of course an essential part of any barbershop. It was intended as a kind of "crime scene surrealism" - if that's a genre - and of course the mirror image could have given the whole thing away. I was in a hurry, what can I say?

Keep it up, Dave, you have made the Photoshop forum a much more interesting place. Even though I can't contribute all that much myself, I always save these threads for last, the dessert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Dag.

Thinking about it - if you took the shell back out, that barber shop scene would make a good starter image for another SFTW challenge.

I'll be posting this weekend's challenge very shortly - not from me this time but from KJerryK .

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I like the idea of the story being reflected in the mirror Dag, or  even the idea of hidden clues generally.   It's a cool  idea that I am going  to borrow  one day.    Dave's Eiffel Tower post went down particularly well, so just a hint that there is more to this image than what lies on the surface, will have everyone frantic to hunt down the clues.

Of course it all comes down to it being Colonel Mustard, in the Library, with the lead pipe.  Or was it Mrs Peacock in the Study with the dagger?   Hmmmm....   Or was it actually Mr Richardson on The Forum, with the Pen Tool?      

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines