• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 37 - Who is in the attic?

Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This weekend's Photoshop challenge is brought to you not by me but by ACP KJerryK - thanks Jerry!  He has set the scene in a dark attic and a rather spooky ventriliquists dummy.
Something is happening in the attic and I'm sure we can all read a story there. So the challenge for this weekend is to add to the image in order to bring out the story you see and tell us more.

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW37-Who-In-the-Attic.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be fun Conjuring up something for this one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like Home.

Week037.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A nice start Rista - I like it

Who is the puppeteer?

SFTW37Puppeteer.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, "That's the way to do it!"

Is that too obscure of a quote, or does it need an explanation?

That's the Way to Do it! A History of Punch and Judy - Victoria and Albert Museum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No explanation needed in the UK Jane - but may be so in other countries?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never been to the UK, Dave, but I understand that you can still find Punch and Judy on the beaches. We don't have them here, but I grew up knowing about them (I don't know why or from whom), and I've seen some of the YouTube videos, especially right after reading Gone Girl.

This doll isnt't Judy, but one look at her and I thought "marionette", too—you not only beat me to it, you did a better job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, your multiple regression image reminds me of this album cover:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are on a regression roll here.  I did this after an article about the drone catching drone was published on PetaPixel with a 'where will it all end comment'.  Coincidentally, I took the helicopter photo just a wee prior to this, although it had a monsoon bucket instead of the net.  My enduring memory was of my buddy, who works as a PJ for the local paper, getting nervous about how close we were to where they were filling the buckets, because he had hi-vis vest with the name of the paper on the back, and didn't want the paper to get in trouble.  We were very close to the tree line, so there was no danger to us the helicopters, but we decided to withdraw all the same right after this guy hovered over us and gave us the evil eye.

It occurred to me later that if I was flying and wanted to make a point, that I might slip with the water release at an opportune moment.

This picture was taken at the same time and shows how that might have happened.

I have just noticed from the EXIF that I was right at the short end of a 100-400mm lens, so we might have been closer than I remembered.

[EDIT]  Whoops, I chopped off the bottom of the EXIF screen shot.  try again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,

And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so, ad infinitum.

And the great fleas, themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on;

While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.

Siphonaptera - Augustus De Morgan

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i-i-i-i-i-i-t's Chuckie!

Chuckie-5-SFTW.gif

Sorry it's a 3Mb file, so might be a bit slow to load.

[EDIT]  Updated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah - scary doll!!

Hang on - it must be around 3.30 am in NZ Trevor, are you having an all nighter on this ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing the variety of takes on a theme is not only fun, but also enlightening.

Here is What happens in the attic, stays in the attic. And two questions -- who won, and who knows?

NewSFTWHappens.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KJerryK  wrote

Seeing the variety of takes on a theme is not only fun, but also enlightening.

That has got me worried/  I do seem to put up some of the darker entries.  My wife told me off yesterday for watching, and laughing at, this video on YouTube, and truth be told, I was worried that it could have caused a serious injury — the cut off tubes could easily have stabbed one of the victims.  I think it is a bloke thing, and that the girls will be horrified.   Some more great entries, but don't the other roulette players realize that Chuckie will cheat?  The Hurricane Florence picture almost bought a tear to my eye. Nice colouring and reflections on the water.  Was that done with Flood 2?  Great stuff Jerry and Rista

A wee word about Chuckie.  If you do a serial type animation, for goodness sake get all the artwork done first.  I initially didn't follow that advice, and discovered that five layers of detailed illustration became blank when I stepped back.  It was not problem to fixing that in History, but I had to think what I was doing.  The final zoom was also tricky.  I had to group the finished Chuckie layers, and duplicate to a new document.  Then bring it back after downsizing and animate from large to small, and then reverse just those frames. Simple stuff compared to Dave's amazing 3D illustrations, but it kept me on my toes (is that an appropriate idiom?).

I thought of another angle for Chuckie, so have another look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Was that done with Flood 2?

Yes it was.  One of my favorite filters.

It took more time getting a suitable green hue on the walls with gradient maps to make it look like the walls reflect the water, rather than the other way around.                                                                                        

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I do seem to put up some of the darker entries.

That's why your cute flower pot people surprised me, Trevor—I had to look twice to see who did that one.

Chuckie? Then it was, oh good, the real Trevor is back! Chuckie is great, and of course he will cheat at roulette. But maybe the flower pot people aren't as innocent as they appear?

I do agree with Chris on the bike thing, though—I just can't laugh when people get hurt or when people intentionally try to hurt other people. Maybe it is a bloke thing like you said?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

I do seem to put up some of the darker entries.

That's why your cute flower pot people surprised me, Trevor—I had to look twice to see who did that one.

I thought when I was doing it, that no one is going to remember them.  They come from a BBC series for young children that were broadcast from 1953 through to 1973.  As a whole, it was called Watch With Mother, and (I think) it only ever went out in black and white.  I am 'hoping' that I am not the only person person here who remembers at least one of them:

Andy Pandy was interesting in that Looby Loo, her on the left, was mysterious, and I am convince had a darker side.

The Woodentops were a bit boring, but saved by Spotty Dog who was jut a wee bit naughty and never did as it was told.

Rag Tag & Bob Tail — I didn't really watch

And The Flower Pot Men, who were super cool, and said 'Flobber dob' a lot. 

It is amazing to see how poor the picture quality is compared to what we have nowadays.  This Pay TV actually has Andy Pandy on screen.  It apparently cost 6p (old money) for an hour with this system.  6p was half a shilling, and there were 20 shillings in a UK pound (£).  

I am sure we did not have such a massive television when I was that lad's age.  That's me on the right with the air break ears.  We'd probably been sent out with the buckets to find coal — not for the fire, but to sell so we could buy some dripping for our stale bread.  Eeeeee.... you tell kids today 'bout 'ow 'ard it were back then, and they don't believe you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis,

You had buckets to collect your coal? The best we could manage was a rolled up newspaper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flower Pot Men and Little Weed? Did they mean for them to be this funny???

No, I never heard of them. BBC never made it across the Pond in those days. We had four channels: 4, ,5, 7, and 9 plus 26 which was public broadcasting.

Thanks for the expanation, Trevor.Dennis​. I thought she was a cute flower. Now I know she’s an evil weed and will cheat at that roulette game. No one will suspect her because they’ll all be keeping an eye on Chuckie.

Also a cute picture of you and — your brother? No one will suspect either of you of cheating at roulette, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got one left -- the last rays of summer

NewSFTWSunny.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Jerry - that is thinking out of the box, turning the attic into a sand-pit!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Dave, and to everyone. I realize that the challenge works both ways -- the originator and the respondents. So extra kudos to Dave who takes on his challenge on such a regular basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor -- I didn't click your link; I'm careful about what I watch or read before I go to sleep. And I totally agree with you -- some things are just too over the top, or under the bus. My problem is I don't always know that I'm going too far until I see the finished piece and then "Oh no, I can't go there." For instance, I had an idea for the attic that included a rope and a noose, but I ditched it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, this one wouldn’t keep you awake. Nothing bad happens. They just set something up and let people (crooks) fall for it, or, rather, off it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines