• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 48 - Pier Pressure!

Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This week's starter image is the East pier at Whitby , on the North-East coast of England. The original pier was built in the 17th century, although there have been several repair and rebuilds. The extension - which forms the main part of the photograph was built between 1908 and 1914.  At the top of the hill stand the ruins of Whitby Abbey which was destroyed back in 1540 as part of Henry VIII's dissolution of the monastries. It later featured in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Enough history - back to the present. There is the pier what will you make of it?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW48Pier.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick and dirty, but it is 1:20AM here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You have to be quick to get in first these days ! . Does it go off the end and become the yellow (or orange) submarine?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Does it go off the end and become the yellow (or orange) submarine?

Dave

It's the pier train.  I grew up near Southend-on-Sea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing biting.......

SFTW48PierWhales.jpg

(Fisherman and whales courtesy Pixabay)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week048.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, is that from Heartbeat?

None of us are ever going to out bizarre Ged but we can at least try.

[EDIT]   Is this cheating?  I decided the first version (above) is too cluttered, and misses the point  of the initial idea because the detail was getting lost in all the drips.  I'd have liked to upload it with more pixels after agonising over the falling houses rebuilding their hidden flanks, so I'll just ask folk to click to expand, and leave it at that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Trevor: Kate and Nick, in (one of) the first of the Rowan years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant ideas, Trevor. The "down-under" perspective is a challenge in itself, though. I have absolutely no idea how I would do that. How does a falling sea look? Would it just totally disintegrate into drops and foam? Probably.

Still, my vote goes to the Liquify warning. Just a little twist that changes the whole meaning, turning the image back on itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DANGER!

JHpier photo 1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A wee warning perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Rista - Eco graffiti  . As the other image showed , the whales are fine

Jacob - Very appropriate , I never watched the programme but I do know that much of Heartbeat was filmed in the area, particularly nearby Goathland

Trevor - clever idea and well done. I agree with you - the second image does look better.  Of course, living down under gives you the advantage of seeing that perspective regularly

Joan - Many a boat will be lost in that one.

Trevor - should it be henceforth known as the whirpool tool ?

Keep them coming - all are welcome to take part

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I have seen Heartbeat a(n insufficient) number of times, and (tape) recorded the most significant episodes (somewhere between one third and half the total number (372). I also have the first 7 years (The Rowan Years) on DVD, bought with a complimentary amazon.co.uk gift from Adobe. By the way, they made an open end in the 372nd episode, with (former sergeant) Oscar Blaketon in a respirator because he was the oldest (and had a heart condition), in the hope of a reopening (with either outcome); it is now 8 years ago, and he is still ready at 89 (to have recovered should the impossible be possible); Greengrass has died earlier this year as the first, but he left for the West Indies by 2000, and only appeared in The Royal after that (until 2003).

The cosy little whirlpool reminds me of the Corryvreckan, one of the main characters in the excellent film I Know Where I'm Going.

Which again reminds me of one of the best films ever (with its second sight introduction about the end of the war), Went the Day Well?, also from a time when (British) English was more alive. Bought with another complimentary amazon.co.uk gift from Adobe, along with a few others (including Here's a Health to the Barley Mow).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another warning -- how long will it take?

SFTW48Warming.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some _very_ clever ideas this week guys.  I'm properly impressed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW48PierHands.jpg

Dave

(Hands courtesy of Pixabay)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Obviously, you have to walk (or run) in the sides on the last stretch, lest you fall into the deep unknown. If this is a certain old story, I believe south is to the left, the viewer(s) looking back, appreciating the (literally) narrow escape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joan,

OMG, your DANGER image  (guessing PS Liquify)  is more of our grim reminder of those dreaded satellite images of hurricanes.

(Living here in Florida and other coastal areas - big family, now 5 generations)

Hurricanes are not only devastating but deadly.

KScreen_Satellite image_hurricane.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look what I found!

pier1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good and original use of the pier Derek !

All is not what it seems...

SFTW48PierDoor.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonus points for the Fuse character from Part 6, Dave, and is that the gold mine that he’s coming out of? The rim looks familiar, but I’m not sure. The glass may be Blender?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All Photoshop 2D for this one Jane, apart from the Fuse character but that was rendered months ago. Part 6 .... doesn't time fly! The other room behind the door is a warehouse I downloaded from Pixabay.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Storm approaching.

K

SFTW48Pier_sm.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's excellent! Not as easy as it looks, very convincing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines