• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 48 - Pier Pressure!

Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This week's starter image is the East pier at Whitby , on the North-East coast of England. The original pier was built in the 17th century, although there have been several repair and rebuilds. The extension - which forms the main part of the photograph was built between 1908 and 1914.  At the top of the hill stand the ruins of Whitby Abbey which was destroyed back in 1540 as part of Henry VIII's dissolution of the monastries. It later featured in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Enough history - back to the present. There is the pier what will you make of it?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW48Pier.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

Not as easy as it looks, very convincing!

Surely if you gave the monitor a good shake to slosh the water about, and maybe blew very hard...? 

Sadly, it is all too easy to see whales in my part of the world just recently.  Some are linking the strandings to the Alaska earthquake, and there are lots of web pages that want to believe that, but none of those websites are what you'd call serious scientific organisations, so I'm firmly on the side of doubting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

KPhotopage - Nice job with the storm, the breaking wave is well positioned wit the pier.

Chana - If the North Sea at Whiby is going to look like that , then I'll have some of that global warming

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW48Pier.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe no one else has had a closer look at the the pier tower; this certainly applies to Kate and Nick, but sergeant Blaketon has a hunch that has made him arrive in Panda 2 in yet another attempt to catch Greengrass with some ill gotten goods, expecting an arrival by boat; however the old rogue has already hidden up there under the spire, unseen from below; the young country copper couple are trying to ignore the hunt and keep enjoying their outing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jacob+Bugge  wrote

Maybe no one else has had a closer look at the the pier tower; this certainly applies to Kate and Nick, but sergeant Blaketon has a hunch that has made him arrive in Panda 2 in yet another attempt to catch Greengrass with some ill gotten goods, expecting an arrival by boat; however the old rogue has already hidden up there under the spire, unseen from below; the young country copper couple are trying to ignore the hunt and keep enjoying their outing.

The Ford Anglia was just going out of production when I started as an apprentice toolmaker at Ford UK, but the first vehicle I was involved with was the MK1 Esc0rt.  That was with its windscreen demist performance measured by spraying a given amount of hot water on the screen — leaving it in the cold room overnight at -20°C, and running it next day and marking the cleared area on the screen every five minutes.  That was later transferred to Mylar by tracing it off the screen.  This procedure was phased out in the mid 70s when they were able to duplicate it with CAE.

[EDIT]  HAH!!!  I was not able to post this initially, as 'Esc0rt' is a banned word on these forums.  Go figure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor,

As you probably know, Panda 1 is pale blue and white,

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=heartbeat+policecar&t=h_&ia=images&iax=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wik...

I sometimes borrowed one (pale blue unmarked) from my aunt, and she kindly offered to sell it to me when she switched to a newer car; I declined, in favour of a Morris Minor (III/1000, 2-door saloon, also pale blue and unmarked, but resprayed in Brookland Green (MG colour) which had a magical dirt repelling property so no one ever believed that I never had it washed (and utterly destroying my ability to grasp anything meaningful in the concept of car wash)), which was unaltered apart from a leather steering wheel from a race car and a tachometer and needed a new gearbox. Owing to a sneaky gearshift way (which I kept a secret) and making ready in the red/yellow phase, I always enjoyed outracing everyone at traffic lights (especially enjoyable with expensive sports cars in the outer lane, which would then thunder by), and I always found the exquisite side stepping (possible when going fast in a narrow curve) irresistable, which eventually broke the differential (a completely unheard of event deemed impossible I was told, so it was easy to get a new one from a(ny) scrapyard). The second one was the Traveller in white (that colour was kept but the wood needed a hand so it ended up dark red, so it was a bit like driving round with an English flag, very nice).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit late but...SFTW48PierB.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that a tsunami coming in? With a surfer on top?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this work?

SFTW48PierS2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, he must have slipped out of the frame in the first one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some (or no) reason, I often encounter a strangeness in the SFTW threads: when I Reload current page (Firefox speak) or similar (restarting after a Firefox crash), instead of having the current (page of the durrent) SFTW thread reloaded with new posts, either I am taken to the Photoshop thread list, or (if I have edited a post earlier, often followed by one or more successful Reloadings) I am taken to the Edit window of the edited post that I have already successfully (re)posted and when I press Cancel I am taken to my Profile page instead of back to the SFTW thread. Either way, in those cases I have to use my Bookmark (I bookmark each new SFTW as soon as I enter it the first time) or click the thread on the Photoshop thread list.

Nothing like it has ever happened in any other (kind of) thread in the forum.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Jacob - he should get a ticket for parking there . On the other question, I have not noticed any issues accessing this thread.
Dean - The surfers add to it. I thought the first one was showing what happened immediately prior to Trevor's earlier image where the water and everything else falls out.

Cheers

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

As sergeant Blaketon would be happy to lecture you about, this is no parking because he is occupying the vehicle; had it been PC Ventress, he would surely have had the engine running as well, but he would be recognized by his woodentop (rather than cap), or more likely by his filling the cabin with smoke (which would contribute to his often failing observation capacities).

But he might deserve a prize for his unusually (very unusually) lateral thinking which brought the Panda 2 out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sftwe48-snapshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's always one that doesn't succumb to "pier" pressure

SFTW48Lemmings.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the laptop one better

ssftwe48T.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Good to see them still coming in through the week.

Jerry - The lemmings idea is very good.

USS Norway - what's next an Apple watch?

Thene challenge starts today !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do in fact own a zenwatch but the 4th wall must go back up now I think

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines