• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 49 - In the box!

Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This old signal box is at Beamish open air museum in the North East of England. The box was relocated from Carr House near Consett where it had been working since 1896.

So the challenge this week  is - can you bring this old signal box back to life - or give it a new purpose entirely?

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW49SignalBox.jpg

Enjoy !

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW49SignalBox JE 1200.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, you're first in this week so the ball is now rolling ! I had to look twice to see what you had changed - then I looked through the window

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Midnight

Week049.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for the low rendor I ran out of time

sftwe49-snapshot.jpg

p.s, I should say I got the fake plant from this tutorial Dimension for Illustrator users |

the vest, shoes and maybe the hat are Steves work... Costume Collections for Adobe/Mixamo FUSE 3D Characters – arteria3d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might been seen at MAX when it was held in Las Vegas

[EDIT]  I fixed the poorly warped cylinder and replaced the image.  Thank goodness for Smart Objects, and Lazy Nezumi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I liked the old one better... had more style mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW49SignalBox2.jpg

Someone makes a return.

Thanks to Pixabay fo some CC images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Jacob - I seem to be detecting a theme in your SFTW images .

Rista - Nice job with the ghost train.

USSNorway - He is obviously deciding which lever to pull.  Thanks for the links, it is good to acknowledge the source of some of these elements as it helps others who might want to have a go.

Trevor - brilliant idea, nicely done !

Dean - Congratulations your are the first SFTW this year to get a Christmas theme in with your Santa. I see humpty is making another of his regular appearances!

Keep them coming - all are welcome to take part.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I am afraid that, had you seen Heartbeat, you would have been forwarned that it would be stronger than I, with basically the same railway station (only 60 years newer): there have been so many lively encounters at/in the railway station(s), including train robbing/hijacking/other dangers, also including station masters fighting and even dying (one or two, I believe) to defend different parts of the station including the levers; the encounter outside behind the desk shows Nick meeting Greengrass (with Blaketon literally leaning on him) for the very first time in the very first episode, a worried David behind the lever set (admittedly an addition (taken from another event)).

By the way, as I suspect you know, the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, formerly known as the Whitby and Pickering Railway (opened in 1836), still connects the stations of the Heartbeat heartland from Pickering to Whitby (as in SFTW48), and it still includes Aidensfield (under its cover name Goathland).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, where do you live?   I had a feeling it was not in the UK, which has me wondering why you are such a fan of Heartbeat?  Mind you...  There have been some excellent TV programmes from Scandinavia broadcast in the UK and even here in NZ.

For the Mods reading this thread, who can see two rejected posts.  In case you have not looked into the reason yourself, Forum super cop Scary Dave Merchant, has proclaimed the poster to be a self promoting scammer.  I guess the clue is in the poster's user name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor,

Alas, like you I live too far from Aidensfield, both in space and time, with no rift to return through.

Concerning films (and series, the best of which may be compared to the best of films), most of what I (have ever wanted to) own or see are British, followed by Japanese, then rather few from a number of other countries, the only (very few) Scandinavian films (no series) being Norwegian and Icelandic (about rather old times); probably, given the opportunity, there might be some/many from other countries, undoubtedly including Indian films, most likely mostly among the other (four) kinds than Bollywood; I have never really seen anything from down under, except for choice commercials where NZ is the world leader, as I already mentioned in 41.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up Jacob.  We obviously have some decent films come out of NZ because of Peter Jackson and Weta Workshops, but there are others that I am not sure a non Kiwi would get.  ''Hunt for the Wilderpeople' is a good example.

We adverts even better though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got to add this don't smoke dope and drive advert, and yes, people really do speak like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thinking outside the box

SFTW49Outside.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry, nice idea.   I hope you don't mind a wee suggestion/tip?   If you still have it as a layered file, try using Perspective Warp to shape the signal box to the shed. 

So I put some guides on a layer at the top of the stack, because we won't be able to see the shed while shaping the signal box.

People will guess that I used the Lazy Nezumi 'Vanishing Lines' preset for this, but the outside lines are doable without LNP.  (I made the hidden perspective lines a different colour for the sake of clarity)

I've turned on the signal box, aligned its corner with the back corner of the shed, and started Perspective Warp.

You need the PW inner guides to align with the window frames, or other point of reference.

Then warp to fit the guides we made.  We are not worried about the distortion, because those areas won't show through the windows.

We still have some distortion in the floor, but it is making a bit more sense, although you can see I was a bit rough and ready with the back corner (the window frame should align with the shed window).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have removed the half a table and chair from the top left as it buggers the illusion but I like the odd mix of animals

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Jerry, nice idea.   I hope you don't mind a wee suggestion/tip?   If you still have it as a layered file, try using Perspective Warp to shape the signal box to the shed. 

Thanks Trevor. While I do understand the general concept of perspective, my regular use of it in Photoshop actually only started not too long ago with one of my first contributions to SFTW, It might have been Part 28 -- the Basement. In any case, the SFTW series has opened up a whole new opportunity to dig deeper into PS, and the input from other users is definitely enhancing that learning experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I bet this chap could put those levers to good use!

SFTW49SignalBoxRick.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've started something now Dave.  When I googled 'Greatest rock keyboard players' Rick Wakeman was at the top of the list that scrolls across the top of the page, but Richard Wright is not even on the list.  Tony Banks is well up there, and while I love Genesis, I wouldn't say that the keyboard element was outstanding.  Fortunately, THIS LIST does a better job IMHO, with Rick Wright in fifth place, but it still puts Tony Banks just one place back in sixth. 

I love that John Michel Jarre does not appear on any list I could find, although he is not exactly Rock.  Even leaving that out as a search criteria though, he is not there.

A great picture Dave, and a perfect fit of man and machine.

Right.  Now I _have_ to go listen to some keyboard music.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Trevor: and in a worldwide competition, I believe the dog grumbling might get the prize for the bestedest moment of all times, in the bestedest commercial of all times. When we first enjoyed it, my eldest son enjoyed a Hilux (albeit an older (black) one). The newer similar one with the boards and the bricks, and the even dirtier ending for some, was also a pleasure; and it was a delight to see that the Kill a Toyota Hilux series 1) - 3) proved them right.

Unfortunately, the generally low Youtube volume is too low for my HOH, which hits hardest in the range that separates the unvoiced sounds like sh/s/th/h/f, when it comes to the New Zealand vs Aussie kid which is so full of them. Even with the full effort of my customary lip reading and heavy use of echoic memory and reprocessing, I shall have to watch it some more times.

By the way, I wish the Bluebird penguin/polar bear one were available in a good quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

christmas tale.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines