• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 49 - In the box!

Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This old signal box is at Beamish open air museum in the North East of England. The box was relocated from Carr House near Consett where it had been working since 1896.

So the challenge this week  is - can you bring this old signal box back to life - or give it a new purpose entirely?

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW49SignalBox.jpg

Enjoy !

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the old one stands more beautiful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week049_II.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first saw the signal box picture, I have to say I thought it a difficult one to work with, but we are not short of entries.  Just three more for SFTW's first birthday.  How about that?!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting crowded up there — where's the switch operator?

Space Switch.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric   ROTFL!   That really made me laugh out loud.   Would we call this Steam Punk for its mixture of old and new?  And what a range of space vehicles you've gathered in one place!  The XD-1 (Space Odyssey), Millennium Falcon, and early Enterprise (NCC 1701 from the Kirk years).  I wish I could identify the Shuttle, but I think it is a generic illustration from 3DSculptor, so hard to say.  Chuck would know if anyone does.

I really thought it was a tough starter image this week, but it seems making people think a bit harder generates some outstanding ideas.

[EDIT]  Clever use of the ringed planet to contrast two of the ships against.  Was that deliberate, or a happy accident?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It never ceases to amaze me, the variety of ideas we get on these threads.

Joan - Christmas mice ! I like the touch of the cat at the window.

Rista - That one worries me - it's either a great train-set or he is about to step out in front of that train

Sempahoric - I love the space theme.

Trevor - we could go on for days debating best keyboard player. My main criteria was that he had to be instantly recognisable and Rick in his cape fitted that bill

If you've scanned this thread and think we're all mad - you're right - come and join in!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know, Trevor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, the shuttle is a real one, photographed from the ISS. I have to give you some thanks, too — your use of Smart Objects in the Alley SFTW got me to finally learn about SOs, which let me resize an rotate all the background elements to get a composition I liked, without worrying about degrading the pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A wee heads up with some news I have been itching to share for the last month or so.  Our Noel Carboni is now working for Adobe out of their Arden Hills office in Minneapolis.  If things have not changed since I first learned about this, Noel will be involved with Photoshop as a Quality Engineering Developer. As well as being an expert with Photoshop, Noel is a total geek when it comes to the Windows OS.

It was 12° (-11° in real money) in Minneapolis last night, which is quite a contrast with Florida where Noel has moved from.

To give you a further heads up of what Noel's average day will be going forward, this recent tour of Adobe locations by the Cinema5D guy will enlighten you.  To save you having to watch the video, it will mostly be playing table tennis, table football, and eating in the high tech, and very fancy, Adobe staff restaurants.

So congratulations to Noel.  He is a super nice person, and he is stoked at the chance to work at Adobe.

BTW...  I used Noel's Starfilter Pro 4 plugin to create the star flares in my slot machine image in post #6. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Our https://forums.adobe.com/people/Noel+Carboni is now working for Adobe out of their Arden Hills office in Minneapolis. ... So congratulations to Noel.  He is a super nice person, and he is stoked at the chance to work at Adobe. 

To Noel Carboni​

Congratulations on your new job with Adobe, Noel! Which Great Lake are you near?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, I don't know where Noel will be living, but he has plenty of choice of locations to swim  Ice skate.

Check out these webcams for current conditions!!!

https://www.the-webcam-network.com/webcam/USA/Excelsior-Minnesota/20655.html

That's actually less snow than I expected  (2pm this afternoon) but a bit less snow than in Florida.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Jane, I don't know where Noel will be living, but he has plenty of choice of locations to swim  Ice skate.

Hi Trevor,

Swim?

Ice skate?

I was thinking more along the lines of driving his car!

Would You Drive Your Car Across a Frozen Lake Michigan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis​

You may like this driving on ice video even better, though, because it goes wrong:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=59&v=uBLjXzHuL7Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks folks.

I won't be driving - or even walking - on lakes for quite a while, though the natives are already doing it.  @Jane-e, I'm nearest to Lake Superior, I believe though it is some hours away.  Lake Michigan is the next closest.

My first inclination is to put a snowy scene outside the windows, Dave.  I'll follow up when I've done one.  I have been going bonkers lately capturing snowy scenes, since the snow is still so new to me.  The Minnesotans probably think I'm nuts.  Somehow the first line of footprints in a soft, white blanket call to me (to photograph them).  Hey, I even have some shots of cold steel rails.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have about a 1000 shots of the entrance beach at Nambucca heads so I get it

p.s, he survived the attack so the beach is still open despite what they said on the news

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, I've just seen this picture of you getting ready for the trip to work.  

I guess you had to leave your main system back in Florida?

Is that the Lutsen mountain range in the background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Is that the Lutsen mountain range in the background?

I assume that is where the wifi tower sits?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Noel, I've just seen this picture of you getting ready for the trip to work.  

I guess you had to leave your main system back in Florida?

Yeah, that's my laptop.  The old one that heats the room.

I see winter has arrived at the station...  Better get the plow train warmed up.

SnowedIn.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Graham - love the idea for the coffee machine !

Noel - Nice job with the masking, and the perspective looks right. It must be just the first fall of snow though - in a couple of weeks it will be half way up those windows

Last day before the new challenge, so still time for any final entries.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave I actually spent some time looking up the Beamish signal box hoping for interesting angles, and some information of its surroundings.  There are a surprising number of pictures which shared your viewpoint, which made me wonder if the museum lets you get to the door, but not enter?    I was about to ask if the next challenge would have a Christmas theme, but for some reason I keep thinking we are just a few days away, but it's only the 13th.   😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Christmas theme lined up for the 21st. I don't want to give anything away but any ACPs who attend the Tech Wednesday on 19th will get a preview as I'm going to use the Tech Wednesday to build the scene for teh Friday SFTW.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

I'm going to use the Tech Wednesday to build the scene for teh Friday SFTW.

Looking forward to both, Dave!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish my fingers didn't get knotted when typing "the". It doesn't seem to affect other words but the quicker I type the more "the" comes out as "teh". 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

but the quicker I type the more "the" comes out as "teh". 

em too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines