• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 51 - Merry Christmas!

Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I thought we should have a Christmas themed scene for this week's starter image. So I've modelled and rendered the scene - can you bring it to life?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW51Christmas.jpg

Enjoy - and have a great Christmas.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean_Utian  wrote

Back on the spider, here is at a larger size to fully appreciate.

That spider is beautiful (as is his shadow). What kind of spider is it?

And thanks for the Tim Tams and especially for the Vegemite!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

That spider is beautiful (as is his shadow). What kind of spider is it?

And thanks for the Tim Tams and especially for the Vegemite!

The spider is a Sydney Funnel Web
Sydney funnel-web spider - Wikipedia

With the shadow, the legs look thicker and hairier, more like a Tarantula.
Tarantulas (Department of Environment and Heritage Protection)

You don't want to get bitten by a Sydney Funnel Web. A Tarantula looks scarier but is not that dangerous.

My pleasure on the Tim Tams and Vegemite Thanks for the suggestion to make it more authentic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean_Utian wrote

You don't want to get bitten by a Sydney Funnel Web. A Tarantula looks scarier but is not that dangerous.

Growing up in the Mid-West, we played around and sometimes “with” lots of wildlife, so we saw lots of Tarantulas in our backyard and were never worried about them. I would worry about some of the critters in Australia now that you’ve shared that info, so thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's version 5 or so. It is what is on my TV now.

SFTW51ChristmasAus3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I am Jewish and there is a holiday around the same time called Hanukkah, I thought I'd include it in the holiday pic. So, here's a Menorah with the traditional Hanukkah food of donuts. You can also see a dreidel or two. Not to leave Santa out, he has been given a snack.

SFTW51ChristmasM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I just noticed what picture is hanging on the wall. Great inclusion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone besides Santa made it down the chimney

SFTW51tree2 JE 1200.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the red nose Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CSI Snowman....

SFTW51CSISnowman.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A perfect reflection, Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Merry Christmas blend of your things and mine from Oregon USA. Thanks Dave!

Everyone be safe and jolly! JH JoanMy things with your things!_edited.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!   I thought 'What are those two bright spots?' then I sussed that the wet floor would be reflective.

You are _such_ a Geek Dave.    I guess you would still be able to get lumps of coal oop North .

The hat looks like what Tom Hardy wore in Peaky Blinders

WARNING!!!   I have not looked through this entire clip, but from experience, I'd be very surprised if there was not the odd bit of bad language.

[EDIT]  I watched the whole clip in the end, and it is more or less Safe For Families.  At the end of the clip, IIRC, Tom Hardy says something like (referring to the whisky)  'No, it's shite', and then gets a bottle of the good stuff.  A really great series that we are working our through again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Naw - I got the coal from the mine in SFTW 47

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Grotto.

In twice the size here:

www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/Images/SFTW51Christmas-Grotto-2.jpg

Photo from today by the way (the lowest and widest of the four kinds of yew we have here).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it me or did it get cold in here?

SFTW51Snow.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The end of the line (no danger).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All that's left --

SFTW51PaperB.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Jerry.  I'd have loved  to see a baby's head poking out from the wrapping paper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and uncle Kev asleep on the lounge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best I can do --

SFTW51PaperDollArm.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

and uncle Kev asleep on the lounge?

Oh yes.  All those mandatory Christmas happenings.  I did threaten my household with The Sound of Music, but fortunately, they didn't call my bluff.

Things are a  bit different for you and I to the rest of this thread's posters methinks.  It's only 21°C here today (30° forecast for Sunday), but I expect you  are already up around 30°?      Dave has 5°C, and Dag and Jerry (that has a familiar ring to it ) are slightly warmer at 8°C.  Woah!  Washing DC is only 4°C!  Even our Noel, up there in Minnesota now, is only having to contend with 1°C.   I was expecting to find it was -20°C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only a cool 29° here at 6:30pm and I waisted 2 hours today talking to some pluck a duck at Microsoft about a client zapped by 1809, ended the call and hacked their iso server to give him 1803...  just another day, problem sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I did threaten my household with The Sound of Music, but fortunately, they didn't call my bluff.

Things are a  bit different for you and I to the rest of this thread's posters methinks.  It's only 21°C here today (30° forecast for Sunday), but I expect you  are already up around 30°?     

Right now it's -1°C (29°F) in DC/NoVa, going up to 9°C, but tomorrow will be a balmy 15°C (59°F).

Sound of Music? Don't laugh, but that's what we are watching. The eight- and eleven-year-olds are seeing it for the first time.. They are loving it, but it's 3h44m long, so we only watched half of it last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always had to goto bed when the nazi come... don't think i've ever seen the real end yet so no spoilers please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

I always had to goto bed when the nazi come... don't think i've ever seen the real end yet so no spoilers please

I think we must of been well off when I was a lad.  We had a sofa to hide behind.    I'm also none too sure what Daleks look like, but I couldn't hide from the sound they made when Exterminating folk. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines