• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 52 - On the rocks!

Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

To me, these rocks, layed out and folded in the shape of a wave, look man made. However, they are entirely natural. Known as Graymare Rock on the Nortumberland coast in North East England, they were twisted and folded by immense heat and pressure some 295 million years ago.

So for this weekend's challenge what will you make from them or do with them?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW52RockFolds.jpg

Enjoy - and have a very happy, creative and successful New Year!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I had to sit through those all over again, and when it got to the end, I couldn't help but watch the next two Top Gear videos (about Porsche junk cars)

Jane, I can't help but see the rocks as a crocodile, and I am desperately worried about your rock gazer.  Did they do a risk assessment?  There are mandatory nowadays. 

Goodness, it is Friday already (4.30pm here).  I wonder what Dave has lined up for the first SFTW 2019?   Something to do with fireworks perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, as a double joy, apart from the video (set) supplying the final proof of the indestructibility of that one and only car (like that of a certain mobile phone), it also supplies the final proof of the supremacy of a certain broadcast (which (also) found its way into three consecutive episodes of SFTW).

Speaking of SFTW transition, did you ever see my Pohutukawa answer going back 36 years, well into the former millennium?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Jane, I can't help but see the rocks as a crocodile, and I am desperately worried about your rock gazer.  Did they do a risk assessment?  There are mandatory nowadays. 

Trevor, the first time I went backpacking was in the Serengeti Plains and we walked around a lake that had a sign that said, Beware of crocodiles.” Our guides told us that the hippos were what we should really worry about because they are much more dangerous. I wondered about that, and your comment made me look it up. It’s true. Do you see any rocks that look like hippos? Because then I’ll start to worry!

https://roaring.earth/hippo-meets-crocodile/

Jacob, yes, the sea does lure me and I’d like to go back.

I looked on a map, though, and I‘m not exactly sure how far she is from the nearest land mass or exactly what direction she is pointing.

4F2A60C3-C702-42A5-95DC-CB1838740104.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

She is pointing across the North Sea and into the middle of Skagerak between Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, directly at its bottom, the Swedish skerries, 450 nautical miles (520 (land) miles) away.

By the way, many living in the county of Greymare Rock still refuse to use the modern name and stay with the old name Northumbria (by some historical injustice the neighbouring county switched name form the opposite way (from Cumberland to Cumbria), much in the same way that many Alaskans stay with Denali.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jacob+Bugge  wrote

She is pointing across the North Sea and into the middle of Skagerak between Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, directly at its bottom, the Swedish skerries, 450 nautical miles (520 (land) miles) away.

Hi Jacob,

I saw that it was the North Sea; I wasn’t sure of the land mass, so thanks for the extra info!

It was changed back to Denali officially in August 2015, but most of us were calling it that before then. And the locals here still call our airport Washington National Airport. We refuse to use the new name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jane,

Do you see any rocks that look like hippos?

All the ones in the foreground look like tiny calfs, countless but undoubtedly with quite innocent bites.

Speaking of old names, they ought to be called riverhorse foals, of course.

And thank you for the Alaskan/Lower 48 update, with their different levels of (in)justice.

You can see the direction of her finger in the middle here, if you collapse the side panel, and then you can zoom out.

Google Maps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, I agree with Trevor that it may look a wee bit worrying, although given the history it could be the lure of the sea; but I am sure she is peacefully in awe, or you would never have let her stand there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines