Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 64 - Pulp Fiction

Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

As another week draws to a close, another SFTW challenge starts and this week I have a triple challenge for you.

Our starting image is a book, or at least a 3D render of one. Can you replace the title, the author and the cover image to give us a new book?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side. This is to stop the thread slowing down when lots of images are added.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW64Book.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor,

Actually, for an easier read (at least for most), before posting I started out with something like that (rotating the book by the -115 degrees needed to have the edge between front cover and spine horizontal).

But I decided against it because at least to me that made it look as if the book was glued to (or sliding down) a sloping table, or (even) lifted by something unseen behind it and only resting on the edge of the back cover but for the shadow on the table which has a woolly structure giving no perspective clues. Or the view could correspond to the viewer stooping/leaning over beside and past the book and looking at it sideways and a bit backwards.

I apologize for the inconvenience of my less imaginative orientation.

By the way, (only) partly owing to a distant past with cheating friends, I still order and hold a hand of cards like a fan opening downwards, and use descending order; I also do the latter, and occasionally the former, in Mah Jongg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor,

I forgot two (further) crucial reasons for unrotating by the 115 degrees, namely a strong moire pattern on the tail, maybe even worse than the one Dave told about when he started with 300 pages, and an obvious misfit for the table.

Here is the (untranslated) Corn Conversations turned right (quite literally),

and here is my first (planned) full rotation; to my surprise now, the moire proved absent from the saved image; I will remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2019 Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I was teaching this process to a student, I would have used perspective warp on a smart object. “Leave your options open”, I would have said.

Because it was just me, I cut corners—stamped the composite and warped that, only to realize the title size and position was off after I posted it. Lesson learned.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers, layers, layers! But oh that author name hahaha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, your comment about my book covers was music to my ears. I learn so much here. Never used the transform, warp tools before but they really work easily for this sort of thing. Now, if you will let me see your beautiful mind working on something positive and productive besides your trumpie art I might be excited to find more interesting ideas. Best to you youngster. Hugs, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis​, there is a companion book that lists all of Trump's glorious accomplishments in the areas of world peace, dealing with climate change, researching renewable energy, fostering racial equality, providing assistance for those in need, promoting democracy and freedom of the press. Here it is:

book.png  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW64BookPrice.jpg

(Banknotes based on image from Pixabay)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Thanks for the comment on the render, but in reality it doesn't get much simpler than this one.

Dave

Dave, I imagine that the perspective is taken care of by the 3D app.  I did this five years ago, which does not sound long in the scheme of things, but it makes me cringe looking at how wrong I got the perspective back then.  I suppose I was quite pleased with it at the time, as apart from the front cover which I had as a square image, the rest is pure illustration using shading, and render > fibers (for the pages).  I must have the layered psd file somewhere, so I'll have to try and find it and fix the perspective.

Norman, I believe there is a whole series of those books.  The titles range from 'Truth', through to 'Honesty' with 'Decency', 'Generosity' and the even shorter volume of 'Books I have Read'.  His books with actual content include 'The Artful Draft Dodger', and 'The Art of the Swindle'.  I don't know why Joan is getting all sarky with me.  I mean those are all unedited photographs of Trump, and the expressions he is apt to plaster across his visage.  Do they tell a story about the person wearing those expressions?  Of course they do.  ipso facto, I rest my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

Dave, I imagine that the perspective is taken care of by the 3D app.

It is Trevor. Just set the camera focal length and sensor size (I match the sensor size to 35mm film to make easy sense of the focal length) then position the camera.

If anyone doubts the importance of perspective, look at these two views :

1. Orthographic. Measure the screen - the top edge is exactly the same width as the bottom edge - but it looks wider!

2. Perspective. Now the top edge is narrower on screen than the bottom edge and it looks right.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey.  I am having to sign back in every time I blink!  I thought they had this nearly fixed.

I was thinking that it was just plain wrong to have a SFTW thread with this title, and not have a reference to the movie.  Difficult to be original with something with so massive a cult following, but I did put it together, and there is a certain relevance to the Bible passage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

How did you keep the edge on your books? Most of us managed to lose it.

~ Jane

F31842DF-EC3A-4699-9D3A-E2A22F33DB77.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Jacob - I tried but the forum translator does not speak crow.

Trevor - Nice job and, like you said, it had to be done.

How did you keep the edge on your books? Most of us managed to lose it.

There are two ways.

1. Work in 3D - so model the book cover , drop the 2D replacement cover onto it, light it and render. I already had the model in Blender so I copied the cover model and used that, rendered against transparency and then composited it in Photoshop with the original full render. In Photoshop it can be made simply by drawing a path below and creating a 3D extrusion from that path. Then position the camera (positioning is tricky).

2. The second way is to work completely in 2D and then add a layer and put the highlight on the edge with a brushstroke. Although not as accurate as 3D - no-one will notice the difference.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the 3rd option is to work in both 2d and 3d i.e, use the base image as a background in Dimension and add in 3d objects to rendor your finished image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Trevor, "Joan is getting a bit snarky with you" --- This was me being kind and gentle with your tender heart that lurks below your hidden addiction to hateful picture and word bombs that have no value.

I am neither pro or con about this game, I am just on the side of reasonable energy-saving action mostly because I am older than you and have fewer minutes to waste on something that does not result in positive movement. Live, love and be happy. Your pen pal, JH

For now, if you like let's continue the discussion in Pvt. emails or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1200.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A late entry.

SFTW64Book 02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OldBob1957   Who can resist a puppy picture?    There is usually a charity collector outside the supermarket I use, but I don't always put anything in the box (I don't usually have change in my pocket).  But last week it was Guide Dogs and the collecter had a beautiful puppy with him, and I emptied my pocket for the collection box. 

It's shameful the way some people abuse their charity status.

Ray is this your first contribution to a SFTW thread?  Nicely done, and I had to think about the blurred text, but decided they were tears.  Ahhh... the clue is in the red sticker, which I'd neglected to read.   All I can say is that if Trump had nothing to hide, why was he so insanely worried about the investigation?  If he knew there was nothing to find, he'd have smiled and let them waste their time.  A lucky escape I'm thinking, but his day will come. 

Jacob, I have decided that what you do is a visual equivalent of speaking in tongues.  Ged is now back from his travels, so you'll have competition for bizarre image of the week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor,

It may appear that way, but actually it is plain Pheasant, written with what they have to write with.

Whoever has ever heard the soft words among the hens at their ease will never forget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Plain Pheasant" hahaha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob.

I believe that font is actually Pheasant Plain Old_style, is it not? As an alphabet, Pheasant has a long and proud history. Some archaeologists credit it with being a forerunner to (and the place humankind got the idea for) the cuneiform writing system.

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that's where Wingdings came from

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is indeed, Bob. And thank you for sharing your impressive insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the benefit of those unable to speak (and read) Pheasant, a future Peasant Edition may be considered, in which case the translation (rather than transcript) title will be Corn Conversations (corn such as wheat rather than maize).

More about back cover and spine and orientation(s) to come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW64Book 1200 soup je.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I'd try a simple approach to get something in. But, took a while to get it kinda right. I still need to enhance my perspective skills.

SFTW64BookMine.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines