Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 7 - Driftwood

Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Last weekend's Fuse character challenge had some great responses and ideas. This week is something completely different but hopefully will get the imaginative juices flowing.

I saw this piece of driftwood on the beach at Spey Bay in Scotland. The shapes reminded me of animal bones and that got me thinking about how we all see different things in abstract shapes such as clouds, rocks or pieces of wood.

So the challenge this week is to take all or part of the driftwood below and put it into a scene where it becomes something other than just a piece of wood.

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side. 

To download the image below without the forum scaling artifacts, right click and then use Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW7Driftwood.jpg

Enjoy and have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

Some of you may recognize this as His Master's Voice.  Except this driftwood reminds me of a hound; not a terrier.

mastersVoice.jpg

Oh, that is genius. The dog looks more greyhound than terrier, but I'm in awe all the same.   It even has a sad little look on its face.  Anyone who says dogs, and even cats, are not expressive, isn't looking properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent Nancy!  That does take me back.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely positively brilliant Nancy !!! ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

absolutely wonderful Nancy. I'd love to get one of those wind up gramophones and have seen them in antique shops, trouble is they only play 78 RPM records which are rare these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

Some of you may recognize this as His Master's Voice.  Except this driftwood reminds me of a hound; not a terrier.

Nipper “lived” just a couple of miles from me until he moved back to Baltimore in 1995. I used to love looking at this 18' statue of him everytime I drove down Lee Highway.

Nipper, the RCA Dog Statue – Baltimore, Maryland - Atlas Obscura

IMG_4896.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's awesome !! I bet you miss him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder, is this really driftwood or one of the Martian Meteorites that have been in the news lately?

Week7.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mars is looking pretty sexy these days Rista !! Love it !! ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attempt#2

I saw a whale

weekendchallege7b.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entries are really getting good now. That whale is excellent.

Apologies if I don't reply in timely manner. My PC won't boot this morning. Until I get past that. I am restricted to accessing via my phone.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!

davescm  wrote

The entries are really getting good now. That whale is excellent.

Apologies if I don't reply in timely manner. My PC won't boot this morning. Until I get past that. I am restricted to accessing via my phone.

Dave

Sorry for you loss Dave LOL

pc-tombstone.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Dave I know what it is like to have computer issues like that. Every time Windows updates I hold my breath because there is always an issue with it locking up during the update and I always have to force quit. Its because my computer is old as it started in Win 7. So far Ive been lucky when it simply wont update and Windows automatically reverts it back. But I did have your issue a few weeks ago. Now I wish I could find the site that gave me the correct answer... but I recall powering the computer on and off 3 times and that's when a message comes up to do something...and I wish for the life of me I could remember what to do... I think it was on second or third screen where you hit cancel button and then computer loads normally... I'll see if I can find it... I should have bookmarked it. Although this is for Windows... so if you are on a mac I guess it's completely different..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

If you need help with your PC just let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the link ... but now i remember it happened during an update so not sure if it applies to you but might very well work regardless of circumstane ..

Windows Could Not Complete The Installation [SOLVED] - Driver Easy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

If it's a case of not booting because it can't find the OS, try putting the Win 10 DVD in the drive and booting that way. It will initiate a recovery program and ask if you want to 'repair' the installation. This has happened too me at home a few times. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to replace the boot.ini file with a complete database in Windows 8 and if that gets corrupted somehow then the PC can't find the OS. Not much use if it's a hardware failure, but a simple fix if it's software related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help all. I've managed to boot a toolkit disk which proves the hardware is OK. I'm just busy copying some data off my OS disk, prior to running a Windows repair or if needed a clean install.

Fortunately my images etc are on separate drives which I will unplug before running repair. That way there is no chance of corrupting them if things go wrong.

Can't get rid of me that easily !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

go for it Dave, we need you back at 100% efficiency ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I've finally made it back here. I had to do a complete clean install of Windows which was a right pain in the %^&(%.

I'm currently downloading apps left , right and centre - but at least I have Photoshop and Lightroom running again so I'm back in business

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave

Good to have you back, did you not have a backup image of the hard drive, it saves so much hassle and only takes about 5 minutes to do a restore, this is what I use.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ged - I do but strangely the system would neither restore or repair.
Once I'd checked the disks over - I just bit the bullet, flattened the OS disk  and went for the clean install. It probably does no harm as the last time I did that was an early Windows 10 release when I went for a clean install rather than an upgrade from Windows 7.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got to say I am very impressed by this weekends images. When I put that driftwood up I wondered whether it would get any interest. I obviously underestimated the imagination and skills of the folk on this forum. I reckon we could put a picture of a banana up and generate diverse and imaginative entries (now there's an idea for the future ).

If anyone is still wanting to try - come and join in.

Also if anyone would like to put up an image for next weekend - let us know.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Field Museum in Chicago is moving Sue, its T-Rex skeleton, to a new exhibit. What will take her place in the Great Hall?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL! 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it is getting some attention. A couple of people trying to decide just what it could be. Very cool !! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jodi_Frye  wrote

A couple of people trying to decide just what it could be. Very cool !! 

I'm picturing that chopped off foot that used to descend from the sky in Monty Python.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines