• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 71 - Boat Shed.

Community Expert ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I took this weekend's start image a few years ago on Lindisfarne (Holy Island) on the Northumberland coast in the UK. These upturned herring boats have been converted to sheds and were used by the fishermen to store their gear. Using old boats in this way went on across the North East coast (recycling is not new!) but few now survive.  What use will you make of them?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW71BoatShed.jpg

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How sweet!

72.1.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A brilliant start Derek. I love it !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have absolutely no idea why I keep thinking it needs candles in it, Derek Cross​!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed that portrait image... Spoon full of sugar indead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well spotted. You’ll always find a bit of Dave somewhere in my pics for the weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week071.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where to go?

SFTW71BoatShed-web1200.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rafael,

Where to go?

Sargasso?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW71.jpg

the outfit was made by Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1BoatShedThird Kind.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I looked and thought I don't understand this, but it is really quite beautiful.  Then I started to wonder what happened to the castle, and the penny dropped.   That has to be one of my favourite all time SFTW images.

Incidentally, it's a lovely castle  — this angle with its 'golden hour' lighting, is sensationally good.  It would have been a  bugger hauling all those stones up that hill to build it, but I guess it would be even more daunting for marauding Vikings to rush up the hill with crazy Scottish castle dwellers pelting them with gone-off haggis.  (I don't know the plural for haggis )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Some great ideas.

Rista - It looks like a row of ducks, following the mother duck. Or could it be the latest in viking stealth technology - they did visit here.

Rafael - great job - you have refloated those boats.

Graham - she fits well with the surroundings

John, The spaceship and the music from the Close Encounters theme. I particularly like the change to the castle - that's clever.

Trevor - Lindisfarne is a lovely place to visit. But Scottish dwellers !!! This is in England!!

Jacob - Another image with the boats being restored to seaworthy condition. Nice job!

Keep them coming - all are welcome to join in

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Hi

Trevor - Lindisfarne is a lovely place to visit. But Scottish dwellers !!! This is in England!!

Dave

You know what they say Dave.  Once you get north of the Watford Gap,  it's all  the same to us posh southerners.  😉    Truth be told, and it'll never happen, if I did ever move back to the UK, it would be to  oop north.   It's too wet and too cold to think about though.  

I have not even started anything for this week, so I'd better get my thinking hat on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try to pull my socks up, Dave, including a special mast from quite a while ago.

Concerning Scots in England, they did make it past the Wall a few times, starting in Roman times (hence the Wall), and even far farther (beyond Derby) as late as 1745, hence the lone piper on the Wall in 44.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week071_II.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jacob+Bugge  wrote

Goodness, that takes me back.  You'd have to be old  to remember the TV series with James Bolam and if you are brave foolhardy enough to click on Play below, you'll be stuck with the series theme tune for the rest of the day.

[EDIT]  BTW the singer comes from the same part of  north east England as our Dave, and the  singer's accent is exactly how Dave speaks.    He wears Crocodile Shoes as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Thursday evening here, so this just slipped in before the deadline.   I expect Trump is out of shot on the left looking for his ball in the rough.

SFTW-Boat-Shed.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You're determined to move Lindisfarne to Scotland Trevor
Incidentally, Northumberland also have their own pipes Northumbrian smallpipes - Wikipedia so none of your Scottish bagpipes here.

As for my accent - what accent, it's everyone else who talks funny.........!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,  did  you  notice  that I fell into the  same trap I so often warn posters about with Frame Animations?  If  you are  going to tweak something, make sure you  select all of the frames first.  I'd done that when putting in the flagpole, but forgot when reducing the pole layer's opacity because it was looking  a bit chunky.   The result is just the one frame with lowered opacity, and the rest still looking thick and horrible.   I decided  I did not deserve to correct it, as I made the mistake,  so  I had to live with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI

I hadn't noticed the flag-pole only the moving flag. But now you've pointed it out I can't unsee it !

The new challenge will be up in a few minutes.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor,

Goodness, that takes me back.  You'd have to be old  to remember the TV series with James Bolam and if you are brave foolhardy enough to click on Play below, you'll be stuck with the series theme tune for the rest of the day.

Thrice indeed.

I have wondered whether anyone would notice, or how much it would take, since the first word in 62, then quite a few with a whole phrase in 69, then the full repeated (head)line here, the only one that could fit into the pattern of the short poems I use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines