• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 72 - Stay cool!

Community Expert ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Passing these cooling towers, which are a common sight, at power stations and industrial sites, I wondered what our Photoshop team would make of them. So for this weekend's challenge, can you find a new use for the towers?

As always, anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW72Cool.jpg

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Janee —

20 years ago? Slightly sad that I'm old enough for that seem recent

Not my pic; it's from the US Coast Guard that I found on the internet.

As an aside the interrogation scene in Terry Gilliam's Brazil was shot inside one of these towers. Terry might have some fun with this challenge, too:

drunk%20&%20model%20city.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

We have had a few cooling towers as glasses uploads, so this is a variation on a theme.

Trevor, I just now read every word on your bottle from the 1988 at the top (year one!) and the credit to Thomas and John Knoll all the way to the bottom with “Richardson’s Distillers”. Who knew that Dave was was running a distillery in Scotland, of all places!

I do have one question: I can’t figure out the EStd at the top, and I’m sure it means something.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Estd - Established

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Estd - Established

Dave

Oh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

We have had a few cooling towers as glasses uploads, so this is a variation on a theme.

Trevor, I just now read every word on your bottle from the 1988 at the top (year one!) and the credit to Thomas and John Knoll all the way to the bottom with “Richardson’s Distillers”. Who knew that Dave was was running a distillery in Scotland, of all places!

I do have one question: I can’t figure out the EStd at the top, and I’m sure it means something.

~ Jane

It always feels like a pity that you take time with details never get seen, and I think half the time I spent on this was making this wee graphic.  We were discussing Illustrator yesterday.  I had to experiment with brush size and spacing when stroking the outer triangles, so  as to prevent an overlap at the end of the path.    Is that something Ai could  do  automatically?  I know it handles corners a lot better than Photoshop when stroking with a dashed  line

The layers show an example of too much detail not working out.  The Knoll brothers text was too small to read  when downsized, so I had to change the text to give me room for a larger font.   The B&E on the background Paper Texture layer was for the textured  surface.  I  made it thin enough for the Alien Skin layer below it to slightly show through.

I actually learned a couple of things when reading the Wikipedia history of Photoshop.  The Knolls showed the original demo to Russell Brown for Adobe, and Apple.  Russell was already the Art Director at Adobe even back then.   I guess Apple are  still kicking themselves, although Photoshop is  not a great fit with their product line.

I'm waiting for Dave to catch the Scotland reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

It always feels like a pity that you take time with details never get seen, and I think half the time I spent on this was making this wee graphic. We were discussing Illustrator yesterday. I had to experiment with brush size and spacing when stroking the outer triangles, so as to prevent an overlap at the end of the path. Is that something Ai could do automatically? I know it handles corners a lot better than Photoshop when stroking with a dashed  line

That's why it's a great idea to do a followup with the details, Trevor!

When you place your PS artwork into Illy (embedded), you can drag it into the Brush panel and make any of three brush types with it. I couldn't get a really clean screen grab of your triangle, but you have a good one on a layer in your PS file.

My triangle needs a better crop to decrease the space. Brush size is control by Scale (mine is 35%), Spacing is controlled by Spacing and Fit.

Try this and see if it works for you.

When you edit the brush (nothing has to be selected), you will get this message, so you don't have to worry about getting it right the first time. Just edit the brush with Preview enabled.

Jacob will chime in if he has something to add.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

a simple 3d browser code that can also be made in Adobe Dimension if you like the idea

example

I followed your link, Graham — thanks for including the how to’s! I haven’t played with Dimension yet.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone has been processing too much "heavy water"?

SFTW72CoolAviles.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, the ice cube melted.

Week072_II.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Graham - there is something nasty emerging from that tower - I hope the moon survives!

Jane - I like it - is that her friend / sister behind her ?

Rista - it reminds me of those dream sequences you got on TV a few years ago.

Dean - good use of the giant plant pots.

Trevor -that's clever !

Jacob all we need is a couple of giant glasses and we're set

Rafael - You've put the first tower on a diet - clever !

Rista - if the ice has melted we have to drink warm beer from Jacob's barrels?

Great ideas - keep them coming in. If this is the first time you've seen the SFTW threads , come and join in

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Jane - I like it - is that her friend / sister behind her ?

Dave, because you said this last week: "It certainly looks like Game of Thrones have been there, and to think you cleared up the rubbish from my street scene", I added rubbish to the road.

But it's not any fun to either clear your rubbish from your street scene or to return it to your cooling towers photo when you don't notice!  

So please, look again?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recycle!

Plants from my garden today. Egyptian Bird --cool tower_edited.jpg

Motif - book cover Egyptology Search for the Tomb of Osiris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inspired your typical green alien...

SFTW72Cool-alien.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[UPDATED]

Painted Towers2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Would it be too expensive to convert them as apartments towers ? There must be architects thinking about it.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mutation from the radiation?

Big Stork.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, the birds nest is a classic. Very funny.   Is that a stork or a heron or what?

Pierre, it's surprising what can and has been converted to  living accommodation.  I spent a couple of nights in  one of these silo hotels a couple of years ago.  It had  a retractable sunroof sort  of thing that could be wound back to reveal the stars.  Very cool, but miles from anywhere.

Jane, I also thought the checker and striped patterns was something  to  do with motor racing.   It is probably a warning to drivers about two gigantic concrete towers on the track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a stork. I have never seen one of these nests here in the States, but I understand they are common in Europe, where they are often found atop chimneys and other tall structures: https://www.google.com/search?q=stork+nest+chimney&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8su_y9aziAh... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Trevor , I had caught your Scotland reference earlier. I mentioned it in post 30 along with the mead.

Semaphoric , thanks for clearing up my question on the tower markings. We (I ?) must be programmed to look for the meaning in these things . I love birds nest - brilliant!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Hi

Trevor , I had caught your Scotland reference earlier. I mentioned it in post 30 along with the mead.

Dave

Sorry Dave, I missed that.   How are your sea legs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Trevor - the good ship SFTW will berth safely with those capstans.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely a touch of the Leonardo DiCaprio's there, and no mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though its not the weekend anymore,  I might have to do something with this.  This should be fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines