Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 79 - The mousetrap

Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

For this weekend's challenge I'm looking for a "Something for the weekend" mousetrap.

You can make it as simple or as complex as you like and you can choose to composite it from photographs, illustrate it, model it in 3D, or animate it. It's entirely up to you.

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW79Mousehole.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

79-Current-View.jpg

the naughty dress is made by wetcircuit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week079.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My cats, PennyLane and Phantom, would take care of it...

SFTW79Mousehole-web2048.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mousehole.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outstanding Leslie.  I 'do' love your art!   It is deserving of a backing track methinks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha! Thanks, Trevor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ponytail1414  wrote

Haha! Thanks, Trevor

13 likes!!!  That is a SFTW record and then some.  Way to go (as we say around these parts). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add words.  if you like.  I created this without any brushes using only selection tools, Gradient tool  & Bucket fill. Took 5 minutes. A Stock accepted it as a Vector. NOT!

Mousehole.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mouse Train.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric  wrote

Mouse Train.jpg

I had the same thought, but have not had a lot of time for the forum since Friday.  I also found the perspective confusing.  The floor's vanishing point is high and left...

...and the scene has a tiny front to back convergence.  I'm sure Dave can tell us what the camera focal length was for the render, but I am guessing it was 'long'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor

Camera lens is 50mm focal length but with the "film" aspect ratio of 2.5:2 rather than the usual 35mm 3:2.

The camera is 0.27m from the floor and the mouse hole is 2.27m along the floor from the camera. The skirting board is 16cm high.

Perspective view of scene with camera

Top view (orthographic):

Side view (orthographic):

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor —

One of the things I like about these weekend things is the chance to get familiar with tools I don't often use. In this case, my experimentation didn't happen until after I had posted.

I wasn't really that happy with the image I posted, partly because the perspective looked off, but mostly because I realized seven-eighths of the way through that I had Resampling set to Nearest Neighbor, so I decided to try again.The train is something I found via Google, It's hard to find pictures of steam trains from an elevated viewpoint. I tried to match the perspective using Photoshop's perspective tools.

First I used Vanishing Point to etablish a Ground Plane:

Ground Plane.jpg

To get a better idea of the perspective planes, I dragged up the sides:

Large Cage.jpg

I then made the "cage" a size to hold the train:

Small Cage.jpg

I then tried using Perspective Warp to match the train to the cage, but it changed the shape of the rail cars: making them narrow, or tilting the roofs to one side.

If I had Dave's expertise with Blender, I suppose I could have made my own train with proper perspective, but so far, my experience with blender has been limited to downloading it and buying a book .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - Blender 2.8 will be released this month (the beta is fairly stable now and I've used it for quite a bit of modelling this year) . The interface has changed considerably, and for the better. You might need a new book

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the-mousetrap-lego-batman.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW79Mousehole2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another interpretation.

SFTW79MouseholeF1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another version.

SFTW79MouseholeF2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW79Mousehole.jpg

Hoots mon, there's a moose loose aboot this hoose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

he will not stop until all your cheese is dead!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graham,

That sounds just as frightening as ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US, which was actually said by the CATS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Some great images this week and cats seem to be a popular form of mousetrap

Graham - thanks for starting us off. That's one creepy lady !

Rista - great take on the "mouse" theme.

Rafael - It may be a while before we see the mouse with those two patiently waiting outside.

Lesley - I love the expressions on teh cat and mouse - excellent!

Jacob - I like the cat hiding in the vase - clever cat! Terminator mouse sounds scary

Joan - Nice graphic.

Semaphoric - clever mouse , sort of Casey Jones of the mouse world.

Michael - Super mouse (or bat) - just showing teh shadow of the cat works well.

Dean - I see the electronic trap using the previous SFTW transistors !  Then in your second image the mouse looking through the top two holes must be huge, which explains the third image 

Hothwampa - clever, particulraly with the flags for the "moose" and "moose".

Keep them coming - the SFTW weekend lasts until Thursday !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks I had a lot of fun making her

Screenshot (2768).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines