Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 79 - The mousetrap

Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

For this weekend's challenge I'm looking for a "Something for the weekend" mousetrap.

You can make it as simple or as complex as you like and you can choose to composite it from photographs, illustrate it, model it in 3D, or animate it. It's entirely up to you.

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW79Mousehole.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NotMyFault.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha Nancy OShea​ this made me laugh out loud.@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant Nancy

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bad cat!...

SFTW79Mouse&Cat.jpg

(Full disclosure - I did this by additional modelling in the original 3D scene and re-rendering)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks great Dave. Any chance we could get a behind the scenes on your updated image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael

Thank you. Sure I can give you a behind the scenes. It was all done in Blender 2.8 which is still a public Beta but should be coming out later this month as a release.

As with the original scene it was modelled and rendered in Blender with texturing in Substance Painter.

First I modelled the extra objects. The weight and the wheel are just simple shapes. The "cat" is just a set of simple shapes put together with a bit of sculpting to bring out the ears for example.

Once the models were done, I UV unwrapped them (which flattens the surfaces onto a 2D "map") added flat coloured materials and took then exported them as fbx. I imported these to Substance Painter and used the flat coloured materials as material IDs when adding the finished materials in Substance. For most of the objects I gave them full materials in Substance but for the cat fur I was only interested in the colour at this stage.

I made the rope separately using Blender's ability to get an object to deform to a curve (using the Curve modifier)

For most materials - I used Base Color, Metallic, Roughness and Normal maps from Subtance. These can be plugged into Blender's principled shader with just a coupl of clicks using the Node Wrangler "Add on" which comes with Blender 2.8.

This is the "Weight " material node tree:

For the cat fur I used Blender's particle physics set to hair.

Then I used the coloured surface I painted in Substance as the input to the hair colour using Blender's new Principled Hair Shader to get that toy fur look.

After rendering :

It was fun to do.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool. I had no idea you built all the elements from scratch. Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fun image! That cat must be super strong to be able to hold down 100 kg with one arm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - he competes in the heavyweight category

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Haha - he competes in the heavyweight category

"CATegory?"

Groan...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

at the end of the weekend...

It seems that we still are, Jane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Jane - The new SFTW challenge will be up shortly

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Have you seen this exquisite unsent entry from Barb?

Re: zoom picture smaller and have its ruler border still hug it how ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder​  You produce SFTW images and don't post them !!!!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Moose mash for tea?

Bad cat!...

and quite strong (and heavy).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Squeaking" in at the end of the weekend...

~Jane

SFTW79Mousehole JE 1200.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

Obviously, you have been both roaring and squeaking in, just in time, but considerately avoiding skid marks on the fine floor.

A very convincing motor mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL. I wanted to come back and work on the shadows but ran out of time. But oh, the peer pressure.

~Barb

SFTW mousetrap.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice, and two mice, Barb.

The concept of seeing things from the other side reminds me of the trap in the cavern in The Castle of Llyr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could have used that orange umbrella in last week's epic rainstorm (had I not been up North), and I love the wallpaper by Vonster​! Well done, BarbBinder​.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That isn’t my wallpaper?

Von

---

Von Glitschka, Creative Director

[Personal information removed by moderator.]

Creative Director / Illustrator
PPLLUVProcess.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vonster  wrote

Hi Von,

That’s what I get for answering from my iPad — I thought I remembered that swatch from the Vonster patterns you created for Illustrator! I checked this morning, and there seem to be fewer now than I remember, btw.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice reversal with the cat in the hole Barb

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines