• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 80 - Underneath the arches.

Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

"Underneath the Arches" was a 1930s song by comedy and singing duo Flanagan and Allen. The arches in this week's image are a bit more up to date and hold up the Infinity Bridge in Stockton on Tees, UK.

The challenge for this week is to bring both together and show us what goes on underneath the arches.

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below in jpeg format with ICC color profile (sRGB) and without the forum scaling artefacts , right click and then use Save Image As /Save Target As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW80Arches.jpg

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advisor ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Davescm. You said - "Joan - I like the hot rod - it could use a shadow underneath to make it fit. "

My reply is - WHY? Don't need a shadow - since I am just here for the FUN.

"Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc." Dave

I also ask you - where and what is your source of light for the odd shadow on the bridge pillar on the far right?  I took off the top part of your shadow to see if you noticed. LOL JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joanh22203655  wrote

..... where and what is your source of light for the odd shadow on the bridge pillar on the far right

Hi,

Straightforward sunlight Joan and fairly high in the sky, the photo was taken at 14:59 on 2 July this year and facing NNE which puts the sun above and slightly to the left & behind the camera. Hence the shadow is the upper part of the bridge and one of the suspension tensioners that you see above it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes   The car is the SWFW54 that reappeared behind door #3 at:
Re: Something for the weekend - Part 58 - Behind closed doors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

when I become President of the Adobe forums, I am going to build a wall between the Photoshop and Illustrator forums, and do you know what?

it has already been built mate... Adobe calls this wall Interoperation, it has needless complexity and random {undocumented} crashes which is why no body wants to teach it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

The arches in this week's image are a bit more up to date and hold up the Infinity Bridge in Stockton on Tees, UK.

I used to love looking at the clouds and imagining what they looked like. Is that an infinity sign over the Infinity Bridge? Or possibly a Cloud that is a bit more Creative?

~ Jane

SFTW80Arches2 JE 1200.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Clever idea Jane ! But fancy putting Illustrator in front of Photoshop - whatever next

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Thank you, Dave! But it only makes sense to put Illustrator first and biggest and InDesign next and both of them before Photoshop, right?

The Creative Cloud/Infinity Bridge symbol was done in Illustrator with the Blob Brush tool, btw.

I am 100% positive that you will love Illustrator as much or more that Photoshop once you learn it, Dave. Trust me.

Now it’s my turn to:

Cheers,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW80Arches3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of Bonus Points there, Dean!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

80 arches.jpgHappy Rod days!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2019 Jul 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some street art. Perhaps not a Banksy.

SFTW80ArchesB.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We'll have to cut that support column out now and put it in a gallery. But will it shred itself if we do?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I'm hungry

SFTW80Arches-golden.jpg

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Bob - That's a clever idea building in another set of famous "arches"

Jane - You seem to think that some other software exists outside Photoshop ....

Jacob - Some bizzare things under those arches, well done for squeezing in the old pier from a few weeks ago.

Thanks to all who took part this week - the new challenge will be up and running shortly.

Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

yes and it can almost do what Photoshop can do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm   wrote

Ussnorway  wrote

yes and it can almost do what Photoshop can do

No, Graham, Illustrator can’t edit images at all and it doesn’t try to imitate or compete with Photoshop.

The only raster parts of Illustrator are things like drop shadows and Gaussian blurs, other than that it’s vector and and not pixels. When I started with Photoshop, it was 100% raster, then they finally added vector for Type — before that Type was pixels on the current layer. Eventually PS started to add other vector, but it has never been as good as the vector in Illustrator.

I can’t even begin to list all of the amazing things Illustrator can do and Photoshop can’t in this brief post, so I‘ll just say that I have both a hammer and a screwdriver in my toolbox and I use whichever one is best for the current job. PS and AI play nicely together and they are stronger as a team than either is alone.

Dave, as for your comment! I know you have been dabbling in Illustrator, so I’m not even talking to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Dave, as for your comment! I know you have been dabbling in Illustrator, so I’m not even talking to you!

Hello, my name is Dave and I've been using Illustrator...... 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Dave

Dave, I’m pretty sure that’s how they introduce themselves at AIA* and I’m glad to see you’ve joined! I ought to not read SFTW when I’m in the waiting room though, because when I burst out laughing at your post everyone turned to look!

* acronym for Adobe Illustrator Anonymous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

davescm  wrote

Dave

Be careful. That can lead to use of After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines