• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 89 - Lockdown!

Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Our forum regulars will know that we used to run a weekly challenge in the old Photoshop forums. We had to take a break, due to some issues with the way this new forum was handling the images, but I am very pleased to say that those issues have been resolved and Something for the Weekend returns.

So, for this weekend,  I bring you a jail scene that I modelled in Blender 3D and textured using Adobe Substance. The scene is set, what will you make with it? Who, or what, will you put behind bars?

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off your skills, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below in jpeg format at 3000 x 2000 pixels and with an embedded ICC color profile (sRGB), hover over the image with your mouse and click on the circle with the arrows that appears at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser)

SFTW89Jail.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post and attach your image using the Image button at the top of the posting box that appears. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all those toilet rolls, should I have put a toilet in there ?  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

your wonderful plastic scenery I, the layperson, can only deface it. But anyway, I dared it. As a trained mason, it challenged me. That's the reason why my colleagues and I subsequently must still fill the joints with fine cement mortar! Please be merciful to me, my PS-experience still is in its start-up phase!

SFTW89JailFugen.jpg

P.S.

The originals of my for it revised photos I found in Adobe stock.

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hans ,

You are welcome to do anything you like to it, my 3d model exists only in the computer. 🙂 Can I move your post into the main SFTW thread so it will be seen with the others ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

thank you for the kind words and sure, I would be very pleased, if you would move it! LachendesGesichtAdobe.jpg

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done - and welcome to SFTW 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, drat! I've left my cell phone! Does anyone have a key?

SFTW89Jail Jane3 1200.jpg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You left your phone in the cell?  Goodness!  What were you in for?  How long was the sentence?  Should we be afraid?

OK, don't worry, I've got a plan. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My sentence was incomplete because I kept getting interrupted by ——

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cell phone - hahah! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jane: I have heard that device designation, and now I have finally seen one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The floating wheelie bin has been captured (maybe).

SFTW89Jail2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to look that one up Dean 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, that plan I mentioned...

Calamity Jane.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job Trevor. There's no holding Jane back 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done Trevor. Brilliant work. How did you create the hole in the wall?

Very clever.

I did notice some floating bars on the left side of the cell 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dean well spotted with the bars.  My clipping path included those bars, so I think I might have got my layer orders mixed up.  The clipping path was done in two goes because I hadn't realised the hole in the wall layer extended that far to the left, but that still does not explain it.

Trevor_Dennis_0-1587463427250.png

I have a trick of storing selections by filling that selection with a solid colour on its own layer, and turning the layer off.  I like being able to reload that selection by Ctrl clicking the solid colour layer, and I often clip to that layer rather than use a layer mask on the clipped layer as I can distort the clipped layer or the filled selection layer it is clipped to.  It's the same as unlinking a mask, but I think it gives me more control.

Right I have found the problem.  When I was moving layers up and down the stack I left the left-side-bars layer one click too low leaving it clipped to the hole-in-the-wall layer (or its mask to be precise).

Trevor_Dennis_1-1587464745526.png

I found the hole with brick wall gap explosion

When I tried to find it again just now I had to resort to history as it needed that precise search criteria to find it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love your plan, Trevor, and thank you for your help in retrieving my cell phone! "Highly Dangerous", indeed! 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I just say thanks to Tricia and the rest of the team for sorting out the forum issues.  It seems we can paste images directly to the thread now, without having to use the widget, and the images show full size if clicked on.  Then there's the big problem of stripped copywrite which was what stopped the SFTW threads and that has now been fixed.  It ruined the experience for me as screen shots are hugely useful when answering some forum posts, and it was all too hard, and the SFTW threads were a nice reward and an enjoyable way practice our creative skills.  And not just with Photoshop!  So thanks again to the Adobe forum team.  It is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He drew a "Get of out Jail Free" card from the Community Chest.

SFTW89Jail Jane4 1200.jpg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice idea Jane

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Looking along the top of the cage gives me an impression, strenghened by the render posted by Ged, that it is open at the top with enough room/gap under the ceiling to enable simply climbing it, over and out.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/something-for-the-weekend-part-89-lockdown/m-p/11059364#M32...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah that's because you dont see the hidden beam at the top (or some excuse like that 🙂 )

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, Dave, the hidden beam, of course, sorry for my being so dim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Nice to see folk getting straight back into the STFW swing of things. Thanks to all that took part this week, I'll post a new starter image tomorrow 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for getting things back on track Dave! Thank you! You're awesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines