• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 90 - Shop till you drop!

Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There were some great entries for last weekend’s jail challenge.

This week, I bring you a shopping trolley (cart in the US ?).  It’s a simple scene modelled in Blender 3D and textured using Adobe Substance.

So for this weekend's challenge, what will you put in it, who will you put around it, what story will you tell with your edited image?

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below in jpeg format at 3000 x 2000 pixels and with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser)

Whilst an object like this makes for great practice masking with the pen tool, I set these challenges for all abilities. So, for this weekend, I have also attached a png file with just the front of the trolley visible and the rest transparent. Just download the same way as the main image then use “Place Embedded” to put it above the main image and it will save you having to mask the front of the wire basket.

SFTW90Shopping.jpg

SFTW90ShoppingFront.png

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eierliqueur!  Mein Lieblingsgetraenk!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

better late than never mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome Hans. I do like the twisted poster man.

Come and join in the current 'Cabin in the woods challenge'.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

pardon for this, but I'm really excited about your firendly comments and your "Likes". YES, Dave's idea is very pleasing and motivating, didn't know till now, what possibilities PS offers and I see more and more my development is just in its infancy!

My cut out twisted poster man (naturally that's me!) is surrounded by a white area, I am dissatisfied with this. Let's see if I can manage it.

Nochmals vielen Dank UND bleibt bitte ALLE gesund!!!

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get rid of the white area using the selection tools and creating a mask, but in this particular image, with the "twisted poster sheet" look, I like the white. It works.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thanks for all your suggestions. This of course begs my new question. I could manage to cut out my body from the original foto by using the "Polygon-Lasso-Werkzeug". And - o wunder - I could insert my body itself into "Part 90". From there I was able to use all these nice tricks (bearbeiten >>> Transformieren >>> etc). BUT for me it seems as if this extract is fading or should I say "transitory", I can save my body only in a rectangle which is surrounded by a background color.

Is there a possibility to save this piece itself?

Alles Gute

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Probably the best and easiest way to do this is what Dave recommended. I'm assuming the model (you?) was shot against a while background here. I wouldn't use the lasso to outline the model. That would be a lot of work. I think I'd use the Magic Wand or the Quick Selection tool then select the white area around the outside of the model. Once you are sure you've got all the white area selected, then go CTRL+SHIFT+I to invert the selection. With the model now selected, click on the mask icon at the bottom of the layers panel. That will easily mask out the white background. If you're doing all this on a separate photo of yourself, then with the model still selected, do a copy then go over to the image of the shopping cart or the shopping scene and paste it in there. In other words, do the same thing as how you got the photo before it was cut out in the first place. You could do all this with the photo in place as you have it now, but it might be a little tougher getting just the white area only selected in the first place. Hope that helps.

Apple Studio (M1 Max), 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to do it besides Dave's suggestion would be to change the blend mode to Multiply or Darken (Darken might work better with this image) of the layer with you on it, assuming it's the only thing on that layer. That way the white will disappear leaving only "you". The only thing I'm concerned about though is the model's face is lighter than the background so that might disappear. If it does, then make a quick mask and brush it back in. If changing the blend mode makes the model too dark in the process, you might want to throw a clipped Brightness & Contrast adjustment layer on top of that and see what happens. Let us know how that works out for you.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the by, I just tried out my idea (using a different model) of changing the blend mode. Doesn't work the way I was suggesting because the face is lighter than the background and the clothes darker. As such, parts of the model disappears. What does work pretty well is using the Blend If tools. I put the model with the white background where you have yours and on a layer above the scene. I then went to the Blend If (double click on the gray area to the right of the layer's name that has the model on it) then slid the current layer's white slider left until the white was mostly all gone, then separated the sliders (OPT+drag the right side of that slider) back to almost full again to get a transition. It's not perfect and I think Dave's idea is actually better and easier overall, but this is kind of fun to play around with. Anyway, hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whew, couldn't resist this one! Thanks for putting this up.

Corona SpecialCorona Special

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome Glenn. Very topical 🙂

Come and join us at this week's 'Cabin in the woods' challenge. There is a new one every Friday.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will do that 🙂 . Thanks, and thank you for doing this. Great idea, especially of late.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines