• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 92 - Going Underground.

Community Expert ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There were some brilliant ideas in last week's cabin and woods challenge. For this week though we have had enough fresh air and are going urban, specifically into the subway. I created and rendered this image in Blender 3D, and used Adobe Substance for texturing.

Now the scene is set, what will you do with it? What story will you tell with your edited image? You can do anything you like, just don't get mugged!

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below in jpeg format at 3000 x 2000 pixels and with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser)

SFTW92Subway.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like that Jane?

2020-05-09_21-06-31.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave, and now I see I was way off on my perspective! But somehow this looks like a giant toddler? Maybe she's scarier than I thought!

~ Jane

Giant Toddler.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! I meant to say a few inches less that three feet! She is a giant toddler now! 🤣

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, 3 feet ! There you go :

2020-05-09_23-18-31.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank so for giving me the perspective not just once, but twice, Dave! She was way too big — a monster toddler heading toward the tracks to play. 😊

~ Jane

Monster Toddler.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey Dave.  You are not wrong!  When you put this up I was thinking that there will be no excuses for stuffing up the perspective with those tiles to guide us, but I still managed it. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinda sad, kinda scary. But for the grace of God go we...

Nice work. Definitely makes a statement.

Apple Studio (M1 Max), 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did someone leave the tap on?

Kayak.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it - great job on the water and the walls 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and great touch with the star highlights on the helmet and watch, Trevor!

#lnp

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave and Jane.  It's so incredibly eawsy to get a workable selection nowadays, I find I am rarely using clipping paths recently.  Just hit Select Subject, and a wee bit of clean up.  It is making workflow so much faster, which means you can be more elaborate without taking for ever.

My workflow with Neil Carboni's excellent Starfilter Pro 4 is to fill a layer with black and set it to screen.  You can then add a tiny white dot where you want Starfilter to place the highlights.  Smaller dots make smaller highlights, and they do seem to give an image a lift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, spectacular! I can "feel" the water. Nice work.

Apple Studio (M1 Max), 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. You closed the case though the problem was not solved and you told me you would inform me when it is.

Bernard Lourier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernard

It looks like you have replied in the wrong thread ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I steam-cleaned the place for you, Dave.

Week92.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha , folk here seem determined to clean up my carefully placed grime 🙂  There must have been an excess of bleach and soap when we ran the shopping trolley challenge a couple of weeks ago!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isolated from one of my Adobe Stock photos. Subway Selfie

SUBWAY SELFIE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I remembering that this is your son, Leslie?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He's the son of a boyfriend of mine. He was 21 when I took this. He is so photogenic, one of my favorite models.

-Edit- He isn't really a hoodlum. Just for that shoot haha

Cody-hat027CR-.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

His "James Dean" shot! You're right, he is very photogenic.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job Leslie - that portrait suits the scene well !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, first of all I too want highly commend this newly Dave's work! Thanks!

To me the atmosphere appears to be very cheerless, the image closely matches it! For me therefore it was logical to renovate the underpass, AND so too in order to avoid confusion because here is no underground car park. Due to the construction it is quite busy there, inevitably. ;-)))

SFTW92Subway10Dumper.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hans - thank you.

Do I detect a pattern here? You had building work in the jail and again here 🙂 I like the bizarre, collage style.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hans I love your busy subway scene, and I hope you don't mind me saying, but you could have made the Volvo dump truck fit the scene a wee bit better just using Free Transform.  As we all know, we make object layers into Smart Objects if we are going to use Free Transform because it locks the handles to the original positions in case we need to take a second stab at it.  It can be impossible to fine tune if we forget that step.

Trevor_Dennis_1-1589095897513.png

One of my favourite YouTube channels, LetsDig18, features a slightly bigger (A30) Volvo dump truck as well as three Volvo excavators (EC160, EC220 and EC250) plus the usual skid steer, vibrating roller and grader.

As we have some new contributers to the SFTW threads, I'll remind folk that if they use Windows and have Lazy Nezumi Pro, you can use its Vanishing Lines preset to help match a scene's perspective.  With Dave's amazing Subway scene we have those tiles to help us, but even with this image it can help to make an outline of a construction box to fit a composited element into.   Having said that, I didn't do that with my train, which I suspect is miles out.  I might have got my Big Issue seller more accurate as well, but I had no excuse for that because of the tiles.  And I STILL haven't started the job I promised myself  I'd get done yesterday.  But between SFTW and some short stories I am totally unable to put down (Martha Wells Murderbot series) I had no chance. 😞

Trevor_Dennis_2-1589096839137.png

Trevor_Dennis_0-1589097415780.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, many thanks, by the end I want to say: anyone who has followed along with concentration will no longer know where he or she is "also wo mir der Kopf steht!" At the moment I'm still fighting with "My cut out twisted poster man (naturally that's me!) is surrounded by a white area, I am dissatisfied with this. Let's see if I can manage it." :-(((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines