• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 93 - What goes around.....

Community Expert ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There were some fantastic entries in last week's subway challenge. This week we have something completely different.

Those who have been taking part in the challenges for a while will know that sometimes we start with a scene and sometimes with an object. This week it is the latter and we have a wheel and tyre, or actually three views of a wheel and tyre just to give you some choice in the angles.

What will you do with this object? Will you put the wheel(s) on a suitable vehicle or will you use it to make something else entirely?

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below in jpeg format at 3000 x 2000 pixels and with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser)

SFTW93Wheels.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far it I think I'm the only one who has chosen the center tire. The other two have much more contrast against the gray background, making this center one is much more fun to select!

~ Jane

jane-e_0-1589679843415.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane they were definitely a bugger to select.  I used the Pen tool for the OD, but just used Quick Select to lift them off the background.  Dave did not help us with noisey background pattern either :-(.  I am sure we have asked this before, but if we upload PNG files, do they retain their transparency?  Is that how the supermarket trolly images worked?  It's a bugger when you can't remember from just two weeks ago.

Wheels.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, Jane,

At least for what I needed, the centrepiece was the easiest one to select throughout SFTW, so far; surprisingly few hits with the Magic Wand, and then a wee bit of Marqueeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clever idea Jane, I don't think it will be going far though, I looks like some has pinched the chain !

Trevor - I can't make these challenges too easy 🙂  I would also use the pen tool for an object with hard edges like this one.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, Dave, the chain has been repurposed in my kitchen.

~ Jane 

6CA36C79-03CE-4963-8ECB-128A6B1033BF.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

I am sure you have a (pair of) cardan shaft(s) built into the lower part of the frame, and wish to keep quiet about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

"So far it I think I'm the only one who has chosen the center tire."

Someone else did, so far into the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor,

Your use of "bugger" and my use of "fun" mean the same thing in this case. 😊 The gray-on-gray was a challenge!

Yes, the front of the grocery cart (trolly) was a transparent png because Dave thought we might have trouble making that selection and was being kind to us. 

Jacob,

Sorry, I didn't mention yours, it appears to be an easier selection. There are some others as well that use the center wheel but left the gray mottled background.

John,

In addition to sand and snow, fat-tire bikes are used by mountain bikers who are cycling over rocks and branches and over streams and need the stability. They would be very slow on asphalt. Road bikers go for the super skinny tires that are fast on asphalt and very unstable on gravel. I have three bikes: a road bike, a hybrid (a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike), and a Brompton (folds nicely and fits in the back seat).

"Fat Tire" is also the name of a beer that is brewed in Colorado. It's quite good.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I selected and separated all three and my results convinced me that it would be a good idea to blow the center one into shards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e

I see people riding around town on bicycles with these big, giant, tires, almost like your picture, and I always wonder, "What's the deal?"I gather they're for riding through sand or snow, but I've only seen them ridden on asphalt trails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for the same reason people [i.e, men of a certain age] buy sports cars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool Jane! Looks like your ready for some off roading 😋

Apple Studio (M1 Max), 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will make it go faster..

SFTW93Buswheels.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I'm trying to figure out how the wheel got separated?

~ Jane

D36D3D7F-04C2-44B5-B9DE-6E69663CE719.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Jane, I'm not sure what you mean?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure it's just me, Dave, but I don't understand why the pavement shows though where I marked it in red here?

~ Jane

jane-e_1-1589723203923.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't. Those are just the spokes reflected in the glossy black inner rim - take a close look at the original. 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh — I see it now that I've moved from my small iPad to my large monitor. What I thought I was seeing made zero sense. Thanks, Dave.

Also: I like your image. I forgot to say that!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, if I'd masked it with anything other than the pen tool I'd have assumed you were right 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm told I get carried away with things. Personally, I don't see it. Anyway, the wheels ARE in there (honestly, they are!!). Hope you enjoy, and thanks again for doing this Dave.

WheelsUp.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It made me laugh Glenn 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave. Glad to hear that. I had a lot of fun with it. Sure do appreciate the work you go to on these projects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They'll go nicely with my coffee, Jacob. I hope they taste better than tyre treads though 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines