• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 95 - Shine a light!

Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

After last weekend's aircraft challenge I though we should get our feet back on the ground this week.

I wonder if when George Carwardine designed his task lamp back in 1932 he realised how long his designs would last. For this week's starting image, I have created a model, using Blender 3D, based loosely on the lamp he designed for home use, which was released in 1935 and is still sold today. Truly a classic.

So now you have the lamp, what will you do with it?

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below in png format, so you don't even have to make a mask, and at 2000 x 2000 pixels with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser)

SFTW95Desklamp.png

Have fun

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its not that bright!its not that bright!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A whole new meaning to flat pack 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RightClick for full size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who doesn't like a happy chicken 🙂

Edit: I need new glasses. They are obviously ducks ! 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you mean rightchick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought of doing one like that but I was too "chicken" 😄 ! Ok, just kidding - never even thought of that idea. It's really neat - nice one 🙂 .

Apple Studio (M1 Max), 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Week095.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha I love it, particularly the way the mouse is hiding its eyes.. I recognise the mousehole from a previous SFTW. Being picky , a little shadow work on the mouse edges and floor underneath it, and a bit of perspective warp on the lamp base might help bring it all together

davescm_0-1590794778657.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I can see your changes make the mouse look much better integrated into the whole.  I had tried a very light drop shadow, but that had just the opposite effect.  I have to practice to do this manually.  I'm a very poor painter.

I also tried to "turn" the lamp a little, but only managed to deform it.  It didn't occur to me that warping only the base would make a difference.

Thank you for taking the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rita,

I see it as a (maybe a wee bit more than) slightly overwhelmed mouse being drawn irresistably to the light, and heat; or practicing mouse floating; some might say it is being beamed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A great Blender render as always Dave. Just curious if you ever animate your creations within Blender?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael.

I occasionally animate in Blender, but of course the rendering times increase as each individual frame needs to be rendered. This can result in long renders for a complex scene.  The new Eevee render engine is fast and good for video, but I much prefer the photo-realism of the slower, but more physically accurate, Cycles render engine.  I didn't rig the model above for animation.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave. If you do rig and animate anything I'd be keen to see it. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of simple examples :

This one I made for our egg challenge in SFTW13

SFTW13ClockworkEgg.gif

This short video was just a demonstration of using 3D image planes and lighting with some "glass" objects so that a background photo reflects and refracts through the "glass".

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, these are truly amazing!! Beautiful work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are great Dave. Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't miss 2 weeks in a row 😄 . Hey, and you all thought the sun was made of hydrogen <LOL>. Hope you like...

Lamplight.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice idea Glenn 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave. I took this "photo" on the way back from "The Home World" once <hehehe>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And people dare to claim that man never landed on the moon!

This is the same text in Klingon:

bulb wIQaw'laH Qav DIS qaw SoH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a beautiful render image, Dave. Every detail is perfect! The transparency is much appreciated, thank you for that.

SFTW95Lamp Jane.jpg

~ Jane

Photo credit: Davescm in Part 22

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/something-for-the-weekend-part-22-see-the-light/td-p/993856...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane, you get extra points for incorporating an old SFTW image 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, did you happen to follow the link to Part 22 and notice the number of views? There are a “few” more than the current Part 95, and by “few”, I mean 1.5K!

~ Jane

EE3A514F-C312-44CD-BE20-2380DE90A558.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane

I'd not taken much notice of them, but recent weeks have not been too bad. The subway in part 92 got 1.8K

I wish more folk would have a go though 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines