• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 22 - See the Light!

Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This is Souter Lighthouse on the North East coast of England. Built in 1871, it was the first lighthouse in the world designed and built specifically to use alternating current. Its 800,000 candle power carbon arc light ran until 1914 when it was replaced by an oil lamp. It was converted again, in 1952, to run on mains electricity. It ran on until 1988 when it was decommissioned. It is now owned by the National Trust and is open to the public.

So the challenge this week is to bring the lighthouse back to life. Will you make it night and light the lamp? Will you transport it to a new location? Or will you give it a new purpose entirely?

Anything goes as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.

Anyone is welcome to have a go - whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

There are no prizes - just the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun.

When posting back your edited images please use jpeg and downsize to 1200px on the long side.

To download the image below without the forum scaling artefacts, right click and then use Save Image As / Save Picture As (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW22Lighthouse.jpg

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick & dirty 'Boat Jam'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yum yum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ice cream pic is very good Trevor. I love the expression !

I also see that traffic cones are as bad in your part of the world as they are here

I had an idea to combine the image with some quick 3D modelling. Unfortunately matching the camera viewpoint proved to be much harder than usual. That's when I remembered I had corrected the lens distortion in the original pic using lens correction and perspective warp, in order to overcome the wide angle lens distortion toward the corners and  make the lighthouse look circular again.  That correction worked well for the image but made matching it up very difficult. I'll try again later this weekend.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A summers evening scene

SFTW22.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great imagination, Trevor and Ged!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were warned not to feed the birds

Gully.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waldo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merry Christmas to all and to all a Light House!

SFTW Lighthouse Jane.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sea-faring pub skittles (for the very brave).

This would be a good time to start RUNNING!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's turning out to be a good one this weekend.

HothWampa - I love the bird idea - made even better in that you only see part of the gull. The cracks in the surface are a very nice touch.

Nice idea Jane - how many shopping days to Christmas now ?

Ged - I like the way you have lit the windows in your dusk picture

Trevor - I think I'll give that game of skittles a very wide berth

Keep them coming - the more the merrier!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first time ever that I've heard of Skittles (the game) as opposed to Skittles (the candy).

We have bowling and duckpin bowling, both played in bowling alleys, but not Skittles. I had to look it up.

Skittles (sport) - Wikipedia 

And it's a pub game?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just down the road from me! Lovely location

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

markyt2011  wrote

That's just down the road from me! Lovely location

It's not far up the road from me

It is a pub game Jane. See how educational we get on SFTW

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out that all it needed was new batteries.

SFTW22LighthouseLitA.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that it has new batteries, what will it do, Dave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new batteries are the reason that the light is now on Jane

Very nice Rista !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

The new batteries are the reason that the light is now on Jane

I see the light now, Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking about it, Dave, don't most lighthouse shoot out beams of light when lit? Maybe that's only at night, though, so the ships can navigate and be aware of dangerous areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e  wrote

Thinking about it, Dave, don't most lighthouse shoot out beams of light when lit?

Blimey Jane.  That's a bit harsh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

jane-e   wrote

Thinking about it, Dave, don't most lighthouse shoot out beams of light when lit?

Blimey Jane.  That's a bit harsh!

Harsh? Dave will be the first to remind you that he was the one who said, “We should give feedback in these threads if we see things that don't quite fit” (part 21, a storm in a tea cup.)

I was trying to figure out why I didn’t see the batteries had turned on the light, but the other reason is that I'm just a little slow!

I love the batteries, and also your beam.

Is that a distress signal from Princess Leia in the window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realised you must have added a new edit on the laser image Trevor. I'm sure the window didn't have the princess earlier ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking the same. I don't think my eyes were tired enough last night to miss that!

Masking the railing away from the lamp housing became a lot easier when I changed the Rubylith and Path Preview colors to Green, from the default Red

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Semaphoric  wrote

Masking the railing away from the lamp housing became a lot easier when I changed the Rubylith and Path Preview colors to Green, from the default Red

Great tip !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines