• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 98 - Old flame!

Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks to all that took part in last weekend's mobile phone challenge. There were some great ideas.

This week I thought we should get away from our phones and move outdoors. So, I've created a campfire scene using Blender 3D for modelling, physics simulation (for the fire and smoke)  and rendering, with texturing stage using Adobe Substance. It should be a good challenge for matching the lighting which is predominantly from the fire itself.

There is the scene, what will you do with it?

The “rules”:

• Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below at 3000 x 2000 pixels with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW98Campfire.jpg

Have fun, don't get burnt!

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little R&R for the evening.

K

SFTW 98_Flame.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent - the lighting on the bear is spot on.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, you are very kind.

I do not work with 3D.

RE: The shadows and highlights are simply painted in with various custom brushes/settings I made.

Both on separate layers with Opacity and Blend modes.

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<LOL> Yeah, been there, done that <LMAO>! Nice work!!

Apple Studio (M1 Max), 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So whenever the granddaughter joins in, something has to happen!

SFTW98Campfire05Zuschauer.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's great to see your granddaughter getting involved again Hans. I love the imagination she brings to it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... by the way, she insisted to set the blond youngster into the scene! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else noticed the twilight to dusk timelapse (the fire strangely dying out rather than getting brighter) on hovering, reversed on unhovering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that all posted images darken when hovered on - except yours! But I have not seen any timelapses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rafael,

I see a gradual deepening of the dusk, corresponding to maybe half an hour, over a second or so.

As always I post a live link, the live part reduced to the allowed width. That was the only way in the old days (which ended more than a decade ago, and I never change my ways/mind/whatever without good reason; the recent loss of 75% of all threads (including any uploaded images) proves there was (very) good reason to stick with the old way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, yes, there is a darkening of the images, but that is common to all images posted in this forum in embedded form (not just this week's SFTW thread). And, now I understand why yours doesn't do that, as it is a live link and not an embedded image, thanks for clarifying that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rafael,

It may be owing to computer slowness or something, but for me the darkening is gradual over a second or so, rather than instant.

So when hovering over the starter image here in order to be able to save it, I simply saw the (rather fast) dwindling of the light, rather realistically (apart from the flames which ought to get brighter unless they were dying out just as fast).

I hovered/unhovered quite a few times just to enjoy it, before I pulled myself together and saved the image

Afterwards, I have enjoyed it in the same way with the images by the rest of yous, before enlarging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

I understand. The effect does take about a second, is not instantaneous, and it works very well with this week's theme! Almost like it was made just for us, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Rafael, now that you say it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aww, look at the cute, little kitten. He just wants to be held...

Hold me.Hold me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW98Campfire JE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Safety in mind there Jane 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No more forest fires in this thread, Dave!  😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided I was missing an obvious added feature with this.

Sparklers.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes every karka night needs sparkels 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love is a burnin' thing, and it makes a fiery ring
Bound by wild desire, I fell into a ring of fire.”

— June Carter, songwriter

SFTW98Campfire JE 2a.jpg

~ Jane

Photo Credit (Ring): Davescm, SFTW27
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/something-for-the-weekend-part-27-lord-or-lady-of-the-ring/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....and the Man in Black is back !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

June Carter of The Carter Family tells the story of why she wrote this song for her husband and sings it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbsU2UhWsJQ

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A-fire.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent - I've been to the same barbeques !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines