• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spacebar Shortcut: Hand Tool Showing But Not Working

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Runing the CS6 trial on a Windows 7 Laptop (x64). I was in Photoshop (64), and noticed that when I held down the spacebar to pan the open image, the hand icon would show but the tool will not work. No matter how many times I click and drag, the image stays still. If I select the MANUALLY select the hand tool it works, but the spacebar shortcut key is non-functional. This issue persists across both the 32 & 64 bit versions of Photoshop.

Ideas? Help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Thanks for the assist, Dennis & Co.

Now, it's embarassing confession time. I did more testing, and discovered the problem persisted across different Adobe Applications. So I started looking for causes of the problem with my system, and noticed that TouchFreeze, a utility to disable the laptop trackpad when typing to prevent the cursor from being jumped around the screen by the palm of your hand, was running (I only turn it on when I'm planning on doing prolonged typing). Lo and behold, as soon as

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2014 Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not sure its a bug.

Photoshop CC 2014 OSX

Keyboard Shortcuts > Hand Tool

Create new shortcut and press the space bar.

An error appears

"Key pressed is an invalid shortcut. You can only use A-Z for tool shortcuts"

WHY ADOBE ? Please put that functionality back please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had the same problem. tried everything. then i reset the default settings and it works. hope its that easy for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andrexng12 directions are spot-on for Adobe CC Indesign.

Thank you soooo much for this! I have my hand back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Photoshop CS6 on a powerfull new computer (i7-3370K + 16GB) running Windows 7 x64. I have a Wacom Intuos 5 touch installed also. I am really ANGRY about the space bar pan feature which has been one of my favorite functions in CS5. In CS6 it works about half the time! Sometimes the hand tool never shows up when the spacebar is depressed.

Sometimes the hand tool shows up but there is no panning!!!

To continue what I want to do with a brush, I have to select the hand tool and use it to pan and then switch back to the brush!

This really stinks!!!

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and fixed it by restarting my computer. I suspect it is caused by a conflicting program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem in Illustrator CC on OS X Mavericks. Closing Chome and Firefox didn't fix it, but quitting my upgraded install of Parallels Desktop 9 did. Just like that. I didn't even have to restart Illustrator. I'm not sure whether it was Parallels itself, the Windows 7 virtual machine, or the fact I had Windows open in Coherance mode, but there you go. Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstall Parallel and everything is working great! Those apps have conflict with each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2013 Dec 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When I was installed windows 8.1 a spacebar hand tool in Adobe's CC apps was blocked. I was tried everything which i seen on Adobe's forums but nothing was helped me to unblock that tool. I just can switch tool via "h" shortcout but it is quite annoying. I am looking for a professional advice from Adobe.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2014 Jan 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After weeks of trying to sort this problem, we found the solution (in our case) was in the Dell Touchpad settings . . . turn off "TouchCheck" and all works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2014 Mar 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue drove me nuts and none of the suggestions in multiple threads helped (including shutting down all other applications, restarting and resetting preferences). I haven't managed to find a full solution to the problem but I did find a bit of a workaround which may help someone. I'm on Windows 8.1 BTW.  If I hold down the Alt key instead of the spacebar the hand icon "grabs" and allows me to drag the canvas around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also working for me on Win 10 (Asus Zenbook Pro) which I am just getting set up today.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2014 Mar 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've solved the problem by closing every other program running. Imidiatly the Hand Tool worked again.. Then when i Reopen the programs is sitll working,

Hope This Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2014 Mar 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

juana.cantiere wrote:

I've solved the problem by closing every other program running. Imidiatly the Hand Tool worked again.. Then when i Reopen the programs is sitll working,

Hope This Help!

Juana, thanks for your feedback.  It will help other folk sort out similar problems, but can you tell us what operating system you are running? As you can imagine.  it makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2014 Apr 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem and after trying everything else nothing worked.

UNTIL.............  I used a different wireless mouse. 

Works perfect in all Adobe programs now.

I was using a Sony with 8.1 and the wireless mouse it came with which worked fine until windows was reinstalled but now it's working with the Logitech wireless mouse I prefer anyway.

Maybe play around in Control panel????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2014 Apr 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 8

Go to  Metro UI> Settings > PC and Devices > Trackpad > Touchpad - 

• Deactivate the Touchpad Delay.

Also:

I used a different wireless mouse which worked fine. The issue is possibly related to Mouse/Touch problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,

I have installed adobe illustrator CS5 and when i open it..tool bar isnt working.. when i click at rectangle/pen tool the sub options on it dont appear though black sign comes.. am confused wat to do?? i have windows 8 as OS.. please help soonest.....thankyou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered that the pan feature that is enabled when depressing the spacebar doesn't really work in certain screen modes. If you press the f key and go to full screen mode you may find that you pan feature will work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just spent  a couple of hours trying to move my image while using the Lasso tool. I read your response, click the F key a couple of times. Problem solved. I love you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with the Spacebar not scrolling. Just installed CC2014.
I can confirm that quitting Safari and Photoshop and re opening fixed this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2014 Dec 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem as everyone else...

Has nothing to do with Firefox, I uninstalled to to make sure.

Has nothing to do with Chrome, I uninstalled it.

Not a Wacom driver, I uninstalled it.

Running a fairly basic windows 8.1 install.

Tried running with no other program running.

ALT key engages the select tool.

I am on a Toshiba.

Hand tool works fine just not with the spacebar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, then found out Webfoot Security was causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, then found out Webroot Security was causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the solution (in Windows) was to go to Control Panel, "Pen and Touch" -> "Flicks" and enable "Flicks".

With flicks enabled, everything works smoothly in Adobe Reader.

With it disabled, it stops working all of a sudden and the hand tool shows but doesn't respond to touches.

I have no idea how the two are related - but it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ambious,

Flicks will not solve the problem of the HAND TOOL NOT WORKING if the zoom level is screen fit or less. This problem is about OVERSCROLLING. Try to uncheck the Overscroll option in References > Tools, and you will see that you no longer able to pan the canvas if you zoom out to fit the screen or less ... So, to be able to overscroll once again, make sure Overscroll is checked in References > Tools .... Flicks on the other hand is about smooth continuous panning when you use the hand tool to fast pan the canvas. Try it, use the hand tool and then click and fast drag and let go, you will see the panning continues for a while and then stop. Flicks will not work if the graphic card does not support OpenGL. In simple words: Flicks is something, and Overscroll is something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using OS 10.6.8 and Illustrator CS6 and have had the same problem with the spacebar. I discovered it was confilcting with Fetch 4. Upgrading to Fetch 5 seems to have fixed the problem - but we will see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines