• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sticky rotate command

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I draw a lot in photoshop and use shortkeys all the time. One hand on keyboard, one hand sketching on a tablet.

What keeps frustrating me is when i press and hold the rotate command 'R' to position my canvas and then press any other shortkey, it often seems to be stuck in rotation mode. I need to press the other shortkey twice or more (after a while banging on the keyboard) to get out of the rotation mode, which is frustrating as h*ll.

I don't experience this 'sticky key' with any other command or keyboard for that matter.

Has anyone else exprerienced this or hopefully have a solution?

Using the latest photoshop.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the ESC key the should reset your canvas rotation.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx for the reply. The issue isn't that I want to reset the canvas, but using another function (zoom, brush, whatever) áfter I rotated the canvas. The rotate command won't exit unless I press the shortkey for another function several times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the R spring loaded shortcut press and hold R for the rotate tool as soon as you let up the R key Photoshop springs back to the previous tool.  However if you stutter pressing or letting up on the R key it like a tap of the R shortcut.  So letting up the R key may switch back to the Rotate tool or switch to the Rotate tool be cause of the stutter.  R is the shortcut for the Rotate tool.  I turned 80 today my finger control has never been perfect. 80 did not improve this.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using this exactly as you describe: holding the R while rotating and letting go when done. Same goes for the Z for zooming, however i don't experience the issue using the zoom while the actions are the same.

I guess best for now is to just accept an occasional frustration. Seems i've already learned myself to automatically double tap the next command after using the rotate function. If anything else comes to mind let me know.

Thanks, and a belated congratulations on your 80th!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is also a problem for me.  I'm using the brush tool, I hold the R key for rotate, and when I let go of the R key, it's suppose to go back to the brush tool, but it doesn't.  It stays on the Rotate tool.  This is probably not just a problem with the rotate tool though because the same problem happens with the Eraser tool.  The way this problem gets solved in another software that I use is that you can actually set the time for how long you're actually holding the alternate tool before letting it go and returning to the main tool.  This tells the software that you intend to either switch tools, or merely toggle the alternate tool temporarily.  The issue still happens sometimes, but with far less frequency.  That software is Clip Studio Paint which has an unbelievable degree of such customizations to allow the user to work in very unique ways.  I understand that Photoshop is not primarily a painting program, but it is highly developed for it so maybe this is something that Adobe can adapt at some point.  For now, between this problem and the general performance issues, Photoshop has become unusable for me for digital painting and drawing.  It can't keep up with the speed at which I draw, erase, rotate, etc.  I'm making these changes frankly as fast as I can because that's how I work.  Clip Studio keeps up beautifully and Photoshop used to keep up, but not anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines