Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop Rounded Corners on Stoke Effect & Selection Expand

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can not, for the life of me, figure out how to stop the outside layer stroke style going rounded. It's straight when I make the position "inside" and I need it straight for "outside".

Also... when I expand a square selection it also goes rounded.

I am using Adobe CC on an iMac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've spent too long trying to figure it out. Is this a setting I have somewhere?

Thank you!

01.png02.png03.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to be using the wrong »tool« for what you want to achieve.

The Layer Style Stroke is useless to you, instead create a Shape Layer and apply a vector Stroke from the Options Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OOP's forgot to hit the refresh again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you posted a screenshot right away and an image being worth »a thousand words« you probably helped the OP much more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still works as you would expect in P'shop 2022 but not in 2023 or 2024.

Please repair it Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I expand a square selection it also goes rounded.

Work-around:

• Switch to Quick Mask Mode (Q),

• Filter > Other > Maximum,

• set it to preserve »Squareness« instead of »Roundness«,

• exit Quick Mask Mode (Q).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You could try using the Shape Tool to create the shape that way you can add an outside stroke and have better control over it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everybody! I'm going to try a few of those options... I'm pretty sure in the past it's always been straight, not curved. Not sure what changed. I really appreciate the replies : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure in the past it's always been straight, not curved.

I think you are mistaken and the Layer Style Stroke has been like that for a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it has always been this way. I just make a ilttle rectangle at each corner and merge them. The stroke takes on the shape of the round brush, and the roundedness is worse the wider the stroke is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know exactly what you are talking about and you are right-used to be straight. I am trying the same thing (using fx for an image). The corners are rounded and it is driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apologies all, stroke on the outside and centred in 2022 is still rounded. Only an inside stroke picks up the sharp edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines