Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange cursor symbol – tools don't work anymore

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Something has happened with my Photoshop 5.5 and all the tools won't work anymore.

Instead I see this type of cursor (black arrow with box and horizontal lines, looking like drawers).

What does it mean?

Thank you in advance,

Stefan

cursor.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

I finally found a solution:

Reinstalling the software from CD didn't make a difference.

But deinstalling first from the CD (all photoshop versions on my computer) and reinstalling them again finally worked!

Thank you everybody for contribution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi stefan,

You may try resetting the Photoshop preferences back to defaults and check if that helps. Please refer the below video tutorial for the instructions.

How to reset photoshop to its default setting [HD] - YouTube

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try resetting tools

resetalltools.jpg

If that doesn't help try resetting Photoshop preferences

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help!

Resetting tools didn't make a difference, unfortunately.

I tried opening an old Photoshop 5.0 (that I still have on my computer but haven't used for years) – same problem.

Does anybody know what kind of cursor that is (black arrow with 'drawers')?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a Mac?  I don't recognize it s a Photoshop cursor, and this page is saying it is either an Illustrator, or OSX cursor

https://www.bypeople.com/mac-cursor-set-by-emiliano-gonzalez/

Even if there might be some icons missing this is still a very complete set of Mac OSX cursors,

vector and pixel perfect. It is composed of different types of cursors for most of the common

purposes. You can easily modify them and integrate them into any website or app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the contextual menu cursor icon (press 'control' if you haven't got a left mouse button).

Try unplugging your keyboard, you might have a sticky button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot!

Now I know what kind of icon this is.

Unplugging keyboard and mouse didn't make a difference, unfortunately. Also it doesn't happen in any other software, so it doesn't seem to be a sticky key. Illustrator for example works fine. Is it possible this is still an error in Photoshop, and this is just a random icon being displayed?

I have this icon permanently in Photoshop. I can still select menus and layers, but no tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say photoshop 5.5 do you mean photoshop cs5 or 5.5?

What operating system and version are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally found a solution:

Reinstalling the software from CD didn't make a difference.

But deinstalling first from the CD (all photoshop versions on my computer) and reinstalling them again finally worked!

Thank you everybody for contribution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines