• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Temp files

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find my temp files, in the Temp folder of my user there is only one temp file that is a photoshop one and is empty, while on the Data folder there are different temp files of photoshop (why are they here?) and the majority is of months ago even if I've used it recently. Also many sites says that to convert a temp file to a photoshop one you need to change the .tmp to  .psd but the .tmp extension does not appear on the file, and if i try to do it, nothing open on my photoshop. What should i do? 

I'm on Windows 11 and my photoshop version is Photoshop 23.3.2

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

We're going in circles. Unless Photoshop auto recovery initiated upon relaunch, any .tmp file you find cannot be restored to a .psd format. They cannot be converted to .psd.

The lesson is to save often, or at least once to initiate the auto backup service provided in Photoshop. Otherwise risk losing files.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/auto-save-location-for-photoshop-cc/m-p/5825785

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't convert a temp file to a working Photoshop document. It doesn't work that way.

What is the actual problem you're trying to solve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you do it then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.tmp files auto remove when you close or quit Photoshop successfully (not crash). They don't stay there permanently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'many sites says that to convert a temp file to a photoshop one you need to change the .tmp to .psd'

They are wrong

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is the right way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are they used for then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be much easier if you just told us what problem you're trying to solve -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally asked you how to make temp file into psd one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why do you need to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To restore a photoshop file that got corrupted after my pc got shut down badly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're going in circles. Unless Photoshop auto recovery initiated upon relaunch, any .tmp file you find cannot be restored to a .psd format. They cannot be converted to .psd.

The lesson is to save often, or at least once to initiate the auto backup service provided in Photoshop. Otherwise risk losing files.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/auto-save-location-for-photoshop-cc/m...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay thank you, I always save a lot, I guess I'll also need to do some backup files next time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines